Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust Wrap

Tonycaterham

both rob and alegro hit it right on the nail i did mine on wed had to go for a pee mi willy was itchy for hours my wife kept giving me dirty looks when you first start the car it smokes like hell you will need 10 mt for a 4 branch i got mine from proven 01822613200 £13.00 very good price its called cooltek

fredid=blue> smile.gif

I used grip wire to secure mine to the primaries. I'm off this afternoon to buy some stainless jubilee clips cause I do not reacon it is going to stay on. IMHO Save yourself time, pain and skin off the back of your hands and use jubilee clips from the start. Wish I had wink.gif

I am sure it has reduced a little engine noise also. The wrap not the clips.

Andy Mac

teeth.gif Out of Control RED SLR teeth.gif

I used exhaust wrap and fixed it with jubilee clips and it's stayed put. I performed the wrapping operation with the primaries on my knee. Unfortunately I was wearing shorts and my knees were in a terrible state for a week. So be warned! A certain amount of refitting is required to get the length of wrap on each pipe correct - if you dont get the lengths right it looks amateur.

Regards

Phil Owen.

This is part of a response from Mark Fisher (of Fisher Sportscars) about wrapping....

"Exhaust wrap works well if used properly. Beware of exposing even small areas of any part of the exhaust system. The radiated heat from even the tiniest portion will be far greater than any part of an unwrapped system. The act of wrapping retains the enormous heat of the cylinder head gasses so beware of melting the support bobbins and also any mounting that can transfer heat to the chassis.

"GRP, when heated sufficiently, will release vapours that have a low flash point. If a large area is hot enough a big fire will start.

"Customers who line their sills as recommended by us with heat reflective material combined with a good air flow experience no problems."

.......so be warned...?!?!?!?

You guys used 10m of wrap for 4 primaries, but what width was it? 1" - 2" - what?

And now you've had it on the car for for a while have you noticed any difference in under-bonnet temperature, or even performance, and have the silencer mounting bobbins starter to melt or the paint begin to blister or discolour where the pipe exits through the body?

Just asking before I fit it myself. Cheers.

Slarty Blat Fasttongue.gif

I have had the pipes on my crossflow wrapped for about 15 mths .

The reduction in cabin heat, underbonnet heat is very pronounced, so much in fact that the heater needs to be used through winter!!. As ambient temps in Australia can be 30-40C in summer I rank this as a most useful mod. Have not noticed any heat discolouration or blistering of paint on body. Suggest also that you paint wrap after curing with a good heat resistant paint. According to the makers of "thermotec" it helps to preserve the wrap and tidies up frayed or loose threads inn the material