Click here if you are having website access problems ×

laminova oil to water heat exchanger

simon redshaw

Has anyone used one of these oil coolers in a Caterham before?

If so, how effective is it and any ideas on the cost?

Easy to install?

I am being recommended to install one as they are alleged to be more efficient than a std oil cooller radiator system and specifically when you have limited space and no dry sump system.

This plus a large alloy radiator, should reduce heating extremes I have experienced on 2 recent long journeys.

Rgds

Simon7R

Simon,

I've been looking at ways to get better cooling and so this may be of interest here.

Also if you're running a wet sump set up are you aware that having a little too much oil in the engine can lead to high running temps?

How hot is it getting over what period/type of driving?

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

A laminova isn't a replacement for an oil cooler, it's more of an oil/water heat exchanger & I don't think it would have a dramatic effect fitted by itself apart from the cooling effect of air rushing past it as you drive.

I've used one for a couple of year. Very effective at getting the oil temp up to working temperature, now takes 4 or 5 miles, quicker than without when it was nearer 10 miles. *thumbup*

Don't know about the cooling factor tho cos I've also got an oil cooler fitted as well (was on the car when I bought it) so I haven't had any need for extra cooling via a large alloy radiator. I suppose my apollo tank also helps keep the temperature down to a bit as well. The car did run a bit hot after the last oil change - just over 90 for about 600 miles, but I think that was my fault for putting a bit too much oil in the engine.

The car still runs at about 80c as it did before fitting, even on a stinking hot track day 😬

How do you get the dead flies off your teeth....... 😬 R5AAH

• Support Team

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding surrounding Laminova's from the number of posts in the last couple of weeks.

As above a Laminova is an oil/water heat exchanger. If the oil is at a lower temperature than the coolant then the oil will be heated. If the oil is at a higher temperature than the coolant then the oil will be cooled - it's that simple.

In a Caterham, coolant is typically kept between 80 and 90 degrees by the thermostat opening and allowing the coolant into the radiator (an air/water heat exchanger) where it is cooled by the air passing through it.

With a Laminova fitted, when the oil gets hotter than the coolant (as will occur on track or on a high speed blat) the oil is cooled in the Laminova to close to the coolant temperature - the heat exchange capability of the Laminova will determine how quickly.

The size of the heat exchanger is important as it must have the capacity to exchange heat between the two fluids at a rate greater than the heat is being pumped into the hotter of the two. Equally the car radiator must be of sufficient capacity to remove heat from the coolant that is now absorbing extra heat from the oil.

So if you get the Laminova sized correctly and have a radiator of sufficient capacity, it is a very good set up.

I believe that the main problem with fitting an air/oil heat exchanger (a normal oil cooler) in a Caterham is finding somewhere to site it where it gets sufficient airflow without blocking the flow to the radiator.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

*arrowup* *thumbup*

as an extra note, the laminova can cause a drop in oil pressure if fitted in a igh pressure line as the oil has to pass through the very small oriffices of the laminova heat exchanger - 0.5 > 0.75 drop in bar pressure is often seen . The alternative is to fit the laminova in the low pressure return feed back to the dry sump tank and on a K then plumb the laminova water feed into the engine bypass from thermostat to water rail - this will also heat the oil up more rapidly befoe the thermostat opens.

here is C7 TOP

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Think Auto will do a kit to fit Caterhams, and don't forget to ask for the club discount.

The recommended location is in the top hose to the rad, which is a bit daft if you are looking for early heating of the oil 'cos you still have to get everything else hot 1st. I did fit mine into the bypass as Dave advocates but Ifound limited benifit and experianced temp changes, I think that the flow rates don't match in my system to give maximum benifit - you also need to look at the impact on water temps as well.

I've now put it in the botton hose and with the PRRT thermostat I've fitted saw a consist and stable water temp of 83 and an oil temp between 78 and 83 depending upon driving - and that included a serious 128km Blat through the Alps 2 weeks ago.

Paul M