Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fire!

Maccers

Was out in my 1700 X-Flow last night and the car started to pull on its own, as if the throttle cable had jammed open, 1 minute later the side of the car was a fireball! Pulled over and as it happnes an AA van was passing by - how lucky was that! - guy leaped out and covered the car in powder to put the flames out, took a quick look and even offered to tow me home again, and I am not even a AA member - top bloke!

Has anyone had any blowbacks big enough to cause a fire? Anyone know what it could be? I believe the carbs are tweaked at each Caterham Dartford service. Carbs: Twin Weber 40's.

Only fire damage was both K&N air filters, I have not started the car since.

RM.

Sounds serious, but I would be looking for a fuel leak dripping on to the distributor, plenty of potential for fireworks, and stressed chocolate starfish, make sure all the fuel lines are in good order and the electrics for both low and high side of the ignition are making good sound contact, nowhere for some sparking, arcing just to fire all the flammable fluids, hope you can get it all sorted, and back on the road again. Nigel.

oooo.. i luckily diagnosed a similar problem in good time on my car.. sounds the same spec as yours. i noticed that an air filter had burnt through, and the side of my car looked like a spitfire ( the ww2 kind ) with dribbled fuel stains under the carbs.

turned out to be a loose venturi, diagnosed and fixed by redline.

the only blowbacks i've ever had were the smokin' kind wink.gif

j

ps stay well clear of southern carbs in wimbledon.

Just browsing this thread, when I read with panic about the fuel stains under the Carbs.

I have a 1700x/flow with 40's (I think) and after long drives I sometimes see a brown "trickle" stain on the bodywork just underneath the airfilters. Is this the sign of potential fireworks?

C7 GARid=red>

first the important stuff...

gary, i think that a little is fine, i noticed that something was up when i spotted heat damage on the air filters.

a mechanic has told me that if you see flame coming out of the wrong side, don't instantly switch the engine off. the suction of air through the carbs is normally enough to blow it out. of course, only wait a few moments to see if this happens. then get it checked pronto, but not at southern carbs in wimbledon ( did i say that already ? ).

right, now, to dogs. yes, dogs have been banned in lambeth, which is great if i'm popping to the shops with a bag-full ( why ?? ), but dog teams have been scaled up everywhere else in london, and police may well be about to increase the ol' stop and search favourite. oh joy. mad.gif so all those law abiding citizens who pay their taxes, but who like an occasional puff can soon expect to have their lives ruined at the drop of a hat.

anyway, mustn't rant.. they're watching after all... wink.gif

j

Edited by - jam mad on 4 Mar 2002 11:48:46

Thanks Jam,

I spent most of the Essex Blat yesterday watching my flared wings to see if there was fuel being deposited on them (that explains why I was a little slower than the rest of them - honest!) You have now put my mind at ease.

I'll definitely keep an eye on the air filters now though.

C7 GARid=red>

I think, but may well be wrong, that fuel stand-off, (ulimatly causing condensed fuel in the filters to drip out), happens when the intake timing pulses are not working efficiently, i.e. out of the power band.

This is a good theory because.....

"I had to go faster to keep the fuel off my wings"

Mark