Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Pace dry sump oil pressure

Kevsta

Just a review of those who already have the above install in a K engine.

I am happy with my install so far (apart from my ealry problem but all sorted now). What I want to know is what oil pressures are people getting with this setup? I have adjusted my pressure relief valve to values that are good when running etc but...when the engine is hot (oil and water) my oil pressure drops VERY low. It gets down to about 0.8 bar if it traffic in heat, or 1.2 bar if driving normally. This gets annoying with my O/P light coming on whenever I'm at tick over.

To clarify, I also run a laminova so I presume my temps are ok (don't have oil temp guage or switch for water guage to measure...yet!) and I am using fully synthetic 5W40 oil (the recommended thickness for a K). Engine is a VVC and I rebuilt the engine a few months ago with new shells etc, polished journals, nearly new pistons/rods.

I know the guage may not be 100% accurate (it is a VDO, electirc) but the warnign light switch is not lying too so the OP is low on tickover when hot. When cold it is 5-5.5 bar.

Pressure rises back up to 4.5 bar progressively between 1,000rpm and 3,500rpm where it then stays (above that rpm).

So what do others have with this setup?

Kev

Kev, I get EXACTLY the same symptoms as you.

When hot my idle pressure is ~ 1 Bar, when cold at 4,000 RPM by pressure is about 5.5 Bar, when Hot at 4,000 RPM its 4 bar.

I was doubting my gauge setup, the outlet fromt he filter housing is a 90 deg elbow on the top of the housing with about 15" of braided hose to a T piece with the pressure sensor/low pressure switch.

I'm also running a Laminova in the top hose.

Roy.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

DVA 1.8K R345

Edited by - WILL FLY on 21 Sep 2006 14:49:47

Hi Kev, looks like we missed each other at Spa the other day, probably skulking away from the rain like me.

Yep mines the same as yours.

SPA gauge set to psi, 70 deg oil: 40 at 3000rpm, 65 at 4000 rpm, 75 at 5000rpm. Minister recommend a minimum of 60psi at 4000 for their R500 engine so that's the one I'm most concerned with. Idle, yes it drops to 14 psi at 1000. However does this really matter as there's little load?

Oil 5/40 synthetic, & no cooler or laminova

Edited by - Mick Day on 21 Sep 2006 15:03:44

Roy I have pretty much an identical setup (have the same 90 degree and long hose).

Mick, yes sorry I missed you, I was only truly present at the friday, couldn't afford both days (engine rebuilds are a b1tch!) but did pop in to see the end of the caterham only day. I am down your neck of the woods this weekend as it happens, might see if I can pop round to see your 1900 beast! Will need to be the sunday, I would be coming from either Selsey or Somerly.

I do agree that there is no load and so it shouldn't be a problem, it's just a tin top doesn't do this and I wanted to see what others were getting (also to be sure it wasn't that I did a cr@p job of rebuilding it...though pressures were the same before).

I was going to try a thicker oil (v hard to find for synthetic though) but as oithers have the same I shall just shut up and drive it!

Roy, which return feed are you using for the laminova?

Davesport...don't like you...nice guages and a readout I was expecting! 😬 *wink*