Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting a RiF interchangeable aeroscreen: Drilling out rivets

Bewls

I'm hopefully going to be picking up a RiF interchangeable aeroscreen on Sunday, which I hope to fit ASAP to enjoy the last few days of my holiday. However, the centre poppers on my car, near where the rear view mirror will go, are riveted in place, not screwed.

I spoke to someone else, and they told me on their 7 the centre poppers were just screwed in, so it was easy to fit aeroscreen and then revert back to full windscreen.

Can someone please give me an idiot proof guide on how best to remove my poppers, and how best to reattach them in place to they can in future be easily removed for re-fitting a full windscreen. If I drill them out, won’t the remaining hole be too big to just put a self-tapping screw in? Small nut and bolt?

Thanks,

Joe

• Support Team

Why not leave the poppers there and add double sided poppers to the aeroscreen? The trim that goes between the aero and the scuttle is enough to more or less fill the gap that will be caused by the poppers.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

If it's the same RiF aero that I have then the centre section doesn't actually cover the central poppers - it stops short of them so that you can continue to fit a tonneau in the usual way. Others may be different, I s'pose.

I'd recommend the same as Tom and drill through thr rivets, re-fixing them with screws tapped into the rail above the dash.

However, given that the poppers will still be in the same place, and my tonneau fits both aeroscreened and with the windscreen on, why do you need to move them in the first place? *confused*

Pierson

I left my poppers in pleace and added females to the bottom of the RiF and males to the top so I can still use the cover etc.

Very easy aswell to change the screen, 2 bolt and 2 poppers to un pop and then 4 bolts on the wind screen.

Winner of the Largest pair in a non SV 7 (Rumble 2003) here

The aeroscreen was designed to fit the scuttle tightly and neatly once the rubber trim is glued on. To do this we recommend that the poppers screw through the tongue of the aeroscreen. There should be space on the tongue of the aeroscreen to fit the mirror and the 2 poppers. The tonneau should then fit as before. Many customers have changed this and so long as everyone is happy with the fit then there is no problem. Usually we would say drill out the rivets and replace with screws. One other idea someone did was to drill big holes so that the tongue goes over the poppers (poppers through holes). By fitting the poppers back through the tongue with screws it does stop the aeroscreen moving in the forward direction. Ring me if you have any other questions

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon