Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Incorrect brake pedal geometry

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

See this image here *confused*

Surely this is incorrect? Could it be that I have a high ratio pedal fitted, and if so how would I know? The car is a '99 SLR with the uprated brakes/master cylinder.

As a minimum I think I need to correct the geometry by making a second hole lower down the pedal - or change the pedal completely? Strangely the clutch cable runs high at the exit to the sleeve suggesting a relocation needed also, but not as bad as some setups I've seen!

Any comments?

Stu.

• Area Representative

Stu,

It's not ideal, but I don't think its anything to worry about.

If you were to drill a hole lower down, you'd need to be very carefull about clearance if you ever had a soft pedal.

Moving the hole closer to the pivot would give you a softer pedal.

• Area Representative

Stu

I see your point. Not sure it's a good idea to move the hole - there may not be enough room, but possibly, more importantly, as Richard says, you would have a softer pedal with increased pedal movement and this may be quite undesirable. How does the distance from pedal pivot to hole for pushrod compare to your other 7? This may give a clue as to whether you have a high ratio pedal.

I'm sure you can possibly improve the angle by moving pedal and/or adjusting the length of the pushrod. Personally before I did anything I would undo a bleed nipple and get someone to hold the pedal to the floor. I would then remove the rubber cover from the cylinder/pushrod and examine the pushrod in the cylinder. Assuming pushrod doesn't foul against cylinder (and is not close to fouling) and you have full range of cylinder movement, I'd be quite happy and leave well alone assuming you're happy with pedal position.

Alternatively, if you bring car to next LADS, I'll give it a run for you and let you have my opinion on brakes etc. - All part fo the free service offered by LADS!!!

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

• Leadership Team

😬 😬 😬 *thumbup*

The pedal feel is rock solid - Andy B commented at the weekend that I don't have pedal travel, I've got an on/off switch *eek* - the car was sat in the garage though! I'm not sure that it'll be softened dramatically by lowering the "push-point" but I'll take measurements from the old pedal-box first. there's not enough adjustment in the push-rod to dial out this amount of angle!

The pedals are in the middle position - I was in the process of appraising moving them to the forward position when I spotted the problem.

Stu.

Looking at the piccie, consider this . .

The hole for the cylinder pushrod clevis is in-line vertically with the pedal pivot - so any movement of pedal will rotate the hole around the pivot and effectivly lower it - thus bringing the pushrod more to the horizontal.

And I'd rather have it horizontal as it gets further into the cylinder.

The other end of the pushrod will be spherical, bearing against a suitable recess - so there is nothing to bind up anywhere.

Looks fine to me.

Bri