Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quaife ally gearbox case

Nifty

Is it worth the £345 + VAT that DT are asking 🤔

Where else might I be able to buy one 🤔

Any ball park ideas on how much it would cost to swap the internals between the two 🤔

(I'll ring BGH or R&RT in the morning but just wnated an idea now .. whilst the notion is floating through my head).

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

I got mine as part of the last bulk buy...........you can probably buy them direct from Quaife but may not be any cheaper.

I was having a new box built so the transfer cost didn`t apply.

They are supposedly stronger.........or less prone to cracking perhaps than the cast iron case. For me I just couldn`t have a nasty cast iron case attached to a lovely all ali duratec.

It does save a bit of weight though.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

They are supposedly stronger.........or less prone to cracking perhaps than the cast iron case.

Hmmmmmm . .. You sure about that?

I was in the market for a type 9 ally case once, but having asked around and heard of several occasions where they had cracked (in the same place, namely the bottom of the front face IIRC), I decided to stay with the iron case.

Failures were all with very high powered race/sprint cars so maybe it was something to do with shocks from race clutches/clutchless changes via dog engagement gearkits? Or perhaps a dodgy batch somehow got through the manufacturer's rigorous quality control procedures......

My pig iron case failed on a syncro box with "gentle" clutch and relatively slow changes. Must have been down to all that Duratec torque. New alloy case was fitted by Brian, I got my Qaiffe case from Raceline as their online catalogue said £325, here so I asked for that price and got it, they even got it delivered to BGH to save me an extra trip *thumbup* *thumbup*

Duratec SV, built in Dubai *cool*

Nifty it's worth having a conversation with Quaife direct and mentioning the previous bulk buy, but I wouldn't get a Quaife lid just get their case and get BGH's alloy lid as it has a dip stick in the top which makes it a lot easier to check and also fill the box.

I didn't think BGH made alloy cases just the lids but I could be wrong.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Ok, Ok .. you've sold it to me

Many thanks for the replies *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

I'll be having words with BGH and Quaife .

(Actually had a word with Chris at BGH yesterday and I believe from the conversation that they only modified an alloy gearbox case and their own design is still in prototype form).

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬