Click here if you are having website access problems ×

car history and owners

Phil

Hi everyone, I am now the proud owner of a 1700ss and I would like to trace the previose owners for a friendly chat, also to find the paint code etc. Can anyone help.

REG H863 RNP

first owner builder A B HUGHES

second owner Michael Hunt

Neat idea for a new forum on Blatchat eh? Title field is Registration Number, any one who knows anything about that car adds their comments. Mines M949 JPD for example and although I know the names of the two previous owners, I do wonder if they moved on to other 7's or not and what the word is on my car.

Tomorrow's a good day for it!

I should have made the point in my earlier post. The option for others to comment on other persons cars is probably not a good idea.

The idea of entering the reg numbers and your contact details for any C or L7 you have owned seems an excellent idea.

Not sure those dealers selling cars on SOR would approve though...

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

So let's do it then: Just a register with rudimentary details - name, e-mail, registration and maybe a two line box for brief info. No place for others to add comments. (I must be missing something here but I often do! Can we have an area for it?

Tomorrow's a good day for it!

We should have some system of exchanging useful info about car histories. The dealers are rarely of any help - why should they be? I looked at a car at Caterham when buying mine which the salesman seemed very vague about in terms of history. (Even more annoying in retrospect as I can imagine that I must have come across as a real novice and in need of genuine advice rather than someone to be taken to the cleaners.) The car in question had apparently been a Caterham ?press car and therefore I expected them to know its history. Needless to say after a bit of research I decided not to buy, mainly because I felt they had been cagey about it. It was a well specced car for the money (and it was probably OK) and if they had been a bit more open I may have accepted the history and bought it anyway, as it was my trust was lost.

tiptree & JP

We do have plans to do something like this.

The plans are not well advanced but have been kicking around for a little while now. However, we need to do a little more thinking about who would be able to access this information and how it would get updated.

Please feel free to post your comments here on what features you might like to see in such a register and we'll take them into consideration in the design.

Barry

Possibly being open about your cars history and sharing info my help to sell your car at a future date even before being inspected. Even the possibility of a crashed rebuilt car being highly considered as the owner can show how much effort has been put into rebuilding the car properly and with who and should have all the bills to show this giving the buyer confidence rather than loosing out on a perfectly good car. The car I thrash every day and has never let me down is an Audi Coupe with now a 176,000 miles on the clock and it has never given me a problem, this is an accident write off which I purchased from my old boss. We all like to see the words service history with a car for sale but how much history is available with it, until you sit down with the owner and read it you cannot tell. Wouldn't it be nice to go to Caterham knowing more about the car than they do, this may force them to be more open and helpfull towards us.

So the question is what would you like to see and what would you be prepared to share with everyone else?

Questions I have had to ask dealers after looking at pictures on the net when I could not see the hole car.

Does it have a spare wheel?

What oil does it run on?

Is there an immobiliser and a certificate with it?

What is the paint code?

Locking wheel nuts and Is there a key?

Has the car been raced?

Is there an MOT and tax with it?

I want to know whether the car has been on a track. I don't expect to be told by a salesman that "3000 miles is 3000 miles" when I ask if they're road or track miles. You need to know that if a car has been raced/tracked that it has had the appropriate care and attention.