Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oh the Ignominy of it - Diagnosis on a post card please

grumpy the 7th

(1.6SS) I broke down on the A1 after a day spectating at the Harewood hill climb. Driving sensibly (honest Gov'nor, you cant do much else on a busy A1 😬) I heard what can only be described as a noise I'd never heard before Imagine air rattling *confused* *confused* *confused* a bit like an air gun torquing wheel nuts but without the metalic rattle *confused* *confused*. The car never coughed or faltered in revs & I checked all the gauges and temp & pressure which were normal. I PULLED OVER & STOPPED PRETTY DAMN QUICK THOUGH

On the hard shoulder I cut the engine & removed the bonnet. I then with heart in mouth started the engine it ticked over ok so I blipped the throttle which responed ok BUTon rev down a distinct rattle came from what seemed the top of the cam belt housing. I cut the engine & called the RAC.

They duly ferried me home for all the neighbours to see ☹️.

I've taken the cam belt cover off and everything seem fine, I cant find anything loose (I suspected the cam belt tensioner but that's ok) I cant feel any play in any of the pullys (I've not had the bottom covers off the crank pully as I cant be arsed at this time of night & I've got a bottle of Yellow Label Wolf Blass I opened last night in error *wink* that needs drinking before it goes off 😬)

I'm not not sure what to do next but I'll call Dave Wingfield, a very knowledgable club member & garage owner 😬 who I can ask for help.

rog

C7 TNT - it's Dynamite!(Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey)

Sounds exactly like what I used to describe as the "death rattle".

I always seemed to get it every time I lifted off and the revs dropped away (about 3000rpm I think, but it was a long time ago).

Solved it by tightening the cam cover.

MTH you may be right *thumbup* but mine definately wasn't loose as every 8mm nut loosened with a distinct 'snap' I can flex it forward though (with a bit of pressure so it shouldn't have done it by itself *confused*

Mav EU2 it's old like me 😬

I took the plugs out & turned the engine over with a spanner and couldn't hear anything untoward. I then braved it out & connected the solenoid to the battery and gave it a whirl (no crunching 😬) but a bit of a squeal from the altenator area (but that's not the sound I was looking for 😳)

Plugs back in ignition on, big red starter button & held breath. Engine ran as per normal (happy bunny *thumbup* but what was the original noise 🤔) I got my big long trusty screwdriver as a 'listening' aid (pseudo stethescope) and everything seemed to 'whir' asw per normal.

I pushed & pulled different things and by moving the cam belt plastic cover forwards I got a similar sound so I called SWMBO to listen (how many blokes can get their missus to help diagnose their engine problems *thumbup*) After all a woman can cary colours better than a bloke so it stands to reason theat they can carry noises as well (TOP SWMBO) she said it sounded very similar (like pulsing air *confused*)

I've squirted the altenator bearing with wd40 to make that quiet and all seems ok (THE CAM BELT COVER NUTS WERE NOT LOOSE - I SWEAR HONEST) SO I don't know if I've cured the noise but I'm pretty happy that the engine isn't going to deposit some of it's insides through the block (fingers crossed *eek*)

IF IT WAS / IS THE CAM BELT COVER WHAT COULD HAVE CAUSED IT TO FLEX FORWARDS TO CREATE THE NOISE IN THE FIRST PLACE???????

rog

mine definately wasn't loose as every 8mm nut loosened with a distinct 'snap'

Roger,

Mine weren't loose either, but an 1/8 turn on each of the bolts solved the problem. Really hope it's as simple as that.

Edit to say I've got a 1.8k series EU2 with plastic cover.

Mark

Edited by - MTH on 19 Sep 2006 11:08:43

Off topic, but glad you got home OK! I was err....behaving sensibly and not speeding at all when I saw you, couldn't get across the A1 to pull over unfortunately, however I did wave 😬 😬 (Orange Seven, black wings and full cage)

Hope you enjoyed the antics at Harewood.... 😬

Dannyboy *tongue*

DannyBoy, thanks for the wave *thumbup* I saw about 5 7's on trailers.

Mark, I'm convinced (until it goes bang as per Nick H's comments 😬) it is/was the cam cover. Once everything was bolted back together I pushed the cover forwards and it did the same noise. Just easing it a bit then reving & letting it die back created EXACTLY the same noise. I've now got a (very street cred 😳) bungy strap over the cam cover & stretched to the end of the plug cover 😬. Hoping to coerse the cam belt housing to it's original position

rog