Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Changing my gearbox - what do i need? & what else should I do whilst ive got the cat that much apart?

JonW

Ive got a new 6speed for my 97 Caterham Roadsport with R300 engine and will be fitting it soon. I got to thinking that whilst ive got the engine out I should probbaly do any other jobs that are difficult to do with the engine and gearbox in situ.

I know I should replace the engine mounts but is there any other routine / rubber parts that should be changed? I have a recent lightened flywheel and racing clutch so changing the clutch isnt a worry...

Also.... Do I need any other parts to fit the 6speed in my car? I guess the gearlever form the 5speed will just drop in? Do I need a new layshaft bush (Spigot bush I think its called)?

Sorry for all the questions... Id just rather get all the bits I need early and in one go as doing the job at this distance from Caterham means the parts supply isnt so simple (or as instant) as when I was in the UK.

Gearbox rear mounting rubber might need replacing. On my 1998 car this has started to split when I did a rebuild in 2004.

Clutch release bearing perhaps if this wasn't replaced when the clutch was done.

Repairs/painting of chassis tubes if they rusty.

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

• Area Representative

Definitely recommend new clutch release bearing and a good opportunity to give the engine bay/chassis a good clean and apply waxoyl to a few bits.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional