Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MIG welder

jepo

I'm looking for a MIG welder that can be connected to a standard 13A mains socket. Can anyone offer advise on the best (most powerful) available that doesn't require a 1ph power supply. The best I can see from machinemart is the Clarke 110E.

Thanks

Not really to be honest. I guess 4-5mm would be about right.

The first couple of jobs I have in mind are building some chassis stands and fixing some handbrake brackets to a race chassis. If possible I would like something that will be futureproof, i.e. able to handle higher thickness jobs that may come up in the future. The problem will be finding the one that will be OK running from a 13A socket.

Have a look at the Cebora Pocket Turbo 130.

Apparently, Cebora make the welders for Snap-On *confused*

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. -- Bertrand Russell

Looks like the Cebora Pocket Turbo 130 runs from 1ph power supply unfortunately but the SIP Migmate 130 runs from 13A. They claim it's the most powerful welder that can run from 13A so looks as if I've found what I'm looking for.

Thanks

RJ, got you. Is your surname the name of a make of car or have I guessed wrong and ticked the wrong payment off?

Email me if you want,

ed to ad that I have a Clarke welder, but not sure of the number. I'll go and look soon.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Edited by - nverona on 17 Sep 2006 17:37:14

• Area Representative

I have a Sealey Supermig 185. Probably about as big as you can get using a normal 13 amp socket and more powerful than the ones others have suggested.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Mains 230V is of course single phase - but I think I'm right in saying that in general, if 1ph is stated it indicates that it requires greater than 13A. If the welder requires 15 or 20A it should have a dedicated power supply and not be run from a standard houshold socket. All lower powered welders state they can be run from the mains. So far I think the SIP Migmate 130 is the most powerful I have found.

Thanks

You have been able to get very cheap arc welders for that sort of money for a while. Most don't have a cooling fan and are useless as after a couple of welds they overheat and trip out. *IF* the Aldi one has a cooling fan then it is the bargain of the century and should be bought by anyone into DIY who doesn't already have one.

I have a MIG and an arc (stick) welder. I prefer to use the stick welder for anything heavy. It's just so much easier, you don't need gas or anything else, just get the gear on, attach the earth clip, and pffft, strike the arc. The MIG however is ideal for light section welds, anything under 3mm and it's fantastic. Bigger than that and it's difficult to get nough power, and it EATS filler wire.

I paid £60 for my stick welder, it has a fan and is very good. They represent the best value if you want to weld anything heavier than car bodywork.