Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Another Oily Q??

PAUL MARRIOTT

I've just bought a Freelander, for the family and towing the b*****d horsebox, and Land Rover are recommending Castrol GTX Magnatec 10/40 for the K16 engine, I've not seen Castrol mentioned here before. Can anybody comment one its quality please?

Should get all the valve seats cut tonight, then lapped in, and then its put back together time!!!

Paul,

Have you tried towing with the Freelander yet?

I only ask as we bought our 1.8k petrol 3dr in 1998 on the back of the salesmans conviction that it would pull a horsebox no problem.

Turned out to be a complete crock of s**t and to add insult to injury we had a large number of quality and dealer "issues".

Getting shot of it was the best thing we ever did and SWMBO adored the Shogun replacement.

Dan

Fury K

In 1998 we drove a diesel Freelander to Namibia, it was supposed to go to Cape Town but we had an enormous accident in the Namibian desert.

Anyway no significant problems at all even after enormous abuse.

In the six months before departure I towed my Caterham all over the country. With that sort of load it was a great tow vehicle.

No experience of the petrol version though.

(Sorry for the totally irrelevant post, but I still have a soft spot for that car. It got shipped back to the UK and reshelled, it's still going.....)

Paul

Paul & Paul,

Apologies if my post was a little eek.gif but the whole episode still smarts.

IMO the biggest problem with the petrol version was having added 4wd and a load of extra weight it lacked grunt and always seemed to need an extra gear!

Driving it from day to day was fine (when it was good it was v v good, etc) and i found it's on road manners v good but my 70ml a day B road commute averaged only 21 - 25mpg.

The diesel may well address these issues and i must point out that ours was an early rover built car and i have since been told that the latest bmw built ones are much better.

I only hope that your dealer is better than ours was at basic customer service wink.gif

Dan

Fury K

Forgot to add...

Some freinds nearly bought one for towing their trailer and race car (Sylva Clubman).

They went to the dealers with their trailer on tow and pursuaded them that the only way they would buy one was if it could tow the said trailer.

They found on the test drive that it struggled with just the trailer and unsuprisingly went off the idea pretty sharpish.

Dan

Fury K

Susan does a lot of towing and her last five vehicles have been diesel Isuzu's, they are rated at 3.5 tonne trailer load and happily tow a trailer with two full size horses and I guess when it is time for me to change it, her next car will also be an Isuzu.

Fuel consumption for normal driving is around 25 mpg (153 bhp) and whilst towing cuts this down, its not that bad.

If your looking to buy for towing purposes, check out what they are legally rated to tow.

JH