Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Getting too hot.

shn7

Scenario.

1.8 K SS with dry sump (purple pump)

Believed to be 72 degree stat.

Oil temp sender in bottom of belltankhousing.

Std Ali rad.

Road use the coolant gets to about 80 and oil about 70 degrees.

Track use, coolant runs to about 90 but oil heads towards 120 and looks like it would go further if I kept going.

What's the best way to resolve this as clearly the oil temp is getting rather high?

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Norm,

I've not checked it but have no real reason to doubt it as the behaviour is consistent. I suppose I could swap the oil and coolant senders (think they are identical).

I wondered if a laminova would be better than and oil cooler given that on the road the oil temp struggles to get warm enough.

Silly me sold an oil cooler that had sat on the shelf for years only a few months ago.

Steve.

Trevor,

Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on it but I'm not sure it's the correct solution as yet. I'm thinking that a laminova may be more appropriate to help get the oil temp up for road use and keep it down on track.

Steve.

Ask for opinions on Laminova performance from people who have installed them and you'll get a variety of answers ranging from 'It works' to 'It doesn't work' and everything in between. IMHO that's because there are many variables with Laminova installation, such as Size of Unit, Installation location, and presence or absence of a variety of different water restrictors (see Think catalogue on website). For this reason the installation permutations are vast, and remember you don't have much hard data (oil/water temps and flow rates) on which to make your selections. Because of this I concluded that you'd have to be very lucky to get it right first time, and realistically you'd need to do a considerable amount of 'tuning' post installation.

That's the reason I went for a conventional cooler and stat.

I had real problems with my Lotus twincam engined car blowing coolant out of the overflow, then overheating.

I fitted an oilcooler with thermostat in the sandwich plate where the filter mounts (DemonTweeks..comes with braided tubes), then a Pacet type fan, as the original was junk and blocked the oil rad position anyway, but the thing that has finally cured it was a Polo Diesel spherical expansion tank mounted on the bulkhead.

Now the water volume is bigger and the level is higher, all seems fine, it runs at a steady 165/170F and the level is always the same!

Before I did this I had to top the thing up every time I used it, expensive in antifreeze. *eek* 😬

Blackout!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Hi Steve

Have you checked whether the rad is sludged up? I have the old rad of mine if you want to swap them over and see if it improves. I know the old rad was starting to sludge so it will not be perfect but is likely to have about 4 years less use (I think the cars are roughly the same age and it is about 4 years since i swapped).

Regards

Andy