Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Close ratio box

Davey Bee

I am thinking of fitting a Quaife straight cut c/r box, but I'm told that they are very noisey. However I run my car without a windscreen all year round so there is alot of noise anyway. With no roof or screen will it make any difference, and what are the draw backs to buying secondhand i.e do they wear quicker than a normal. I know that SPC do a semi-helicoil box which I'm told is quiet, but the cost advantage of a secondhand is inviting.

Buzzin' Beeid=red> cool.gif cool.gifcool.gif

Edited by - Davey Bee on 27 Feb 2002 08:19:41

Davey,

The SPC/Quaiffe semi-helical is quieter than a straight-cut, but not quiet. You probably won't notice it in your car and it's not particularly intrusive and adds to the sense of occasion. The frequency of the noise however sometimes unconsciously results in me adopting a gritted teeth facial expression.

Paul

DaveyBee

in my last caterham I had a straight cut box, and to behonest after a while you just get sued to it, they do make a great noise IMO and I kind of miss it with the 6 speed...

I had a screen (plus all the comfort options, leather, carpets etc) so cannot comment on the no screeen greater noise drowns out the nopise

for when SWMBO was in the car I fitted an intercom system that totally drowned this out

did a number of tours (barcalona, scandi) in it with this box no problem

rob

Davey Bee,

I have a s/c 5 speed unit that has Quaife internals in my xflow and yes, it's quite noisy - but then I've never driven a Caterham with a normal box so I have no comparison.

I tend to agree with robmar in that you get used to it, and it does make the car sound like a race car, even if I need more power to make it one!!

SteveP

Davey

I put a straight cut box in last year from Road and Race Transmissions. It is noisier than Paul's SPC box when driving slowly through villages etc in 3rd. 4th is obviously as quiet as the original 5 speed as it is straight to the final drive. I bought it because it saved me around £300-400. Once you're going its fantastic and I doubt you will even hear it if you have no screen. My X/F is so loud I barely hear it. However if you have a nice softly-sprung comfortable codger style Vauxhall like Paul, I suggest an automatic............

Edited by - Clay Head on 27 Feb 2002 10:10:22

I have just got my quaife s/c c/r 5 speed from road & race transmissions. I had an SP semi in my 1st Caterham and it was a super box. I have chosen the straight cut this time as I am looking for a bit more character plus it was £300 cheaper.

Hi Davey i fitted a Quaife straight cut box last year but had a semi-helical 5th gear so both 4th and 5th are quiet.This was after going out in a friends car with total straight cut box and fifth drove me mad on anything but a short journey.Itoo run without a screen and helmet on.

Andy G

GRIFF id=red>

Davey, If you decide to go the straight-cut route I have a virtually new one sitting in mint condition in my garage. I have read the comments re. noise but I have to say that it comes third behing induction roar and exhauast. I will miss the sound when new car arrives with 6 speeder. Anyway the box I have is from my car I p/xed to Caterham (HPC) and was bought new from Steve Perks..it has a 2.02 first and has done 800 miles.£750.

Kenny

Edited by - kenny on 27 Feb 2002 17:20:27

I'm now like a man with two watches (no idea of the time). It appears to be 50/50, I suppose it's down to if I can live with the noise. Sh*t I love the sound of race cars, see if thats true when I get back from Le man.

Thanks guys

Kenny will mail you

Dave

Will put a new meaning to Buzzin Beeteeth.gif

Buzzin' Beeid=red> cool.gif cool.gifcool.gif

I had a Straight cut quaife box with flow tech ali case...

The case may have made it noiser.

At that time I decided more touring and it had to go! Couldn't put up with it.

I got a semi heli SPC one instead. That is quieter but not quiet.

Will not whine like a straight cut box is the ad. True, whines like a semi heli box though. In fairness it is a lot quieter!

Now I've gone all racey, JPE screen, stripped out and Tillet seat the noise is much less noticeable.

As a predominantely track car SC would be fine....

Semi heli a good compromise, Fully heli CR, not sure about reliability of. Standard 5 speed... aweful, aweful ratios but quiet so you can hear everything else rattling....