Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track Day noise levels

Bobo W

I'm going to Bedford with Lotus on Track in November where the maximum noise levels are set at 101dB and 87dB at 20 metres driveby.

So providing I can lay my hands on a noise meter I realise this is probably a really numpty question but how do I test the noise of my car ?

• Support Team

101db static is usually done by holding the noise meter 0.5 metres from the exhaust at an angle of 45 degrees to the tailpipe and then holding 3/4 of your maximum revs. The driveby I doubt you are going to be able to replicate - depends on distance from the meter, throttle opening, ambient conditions, which side your exhaust pipe is on, whether your induction is louder than your exhaust, etc. If you are borderline on the static test then there's probably a good chance of failing the drive by.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Just checked the Palmersport website and the drive by is nominally measured at a distance of 20m with the car under full acceleration from 60mph. If you are near to Bedford, you can go there for a free noise check.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

check through the archives - probably in chitchat - for threads on Bedford noise. Lots of different experiences there.

The static test they do is a waste of time at Bedford - they're only bothered about the drive-by, and that can only be tested by going out on track, with the variables articulated above. Hence the offer of a free noise test is meaningless.

What are you running? Engine? Carbs? Exhaust? Basically high-power, induction noise and standard exhaust = problems. 1.6k on a newish standard exhaust should be OK. Lots of variances in between.

The noise meters are clearly visible anyway if you need to lift off, there has been talk about a mobile noise man but I haven't seen one. Having said that I haven't been there this year.

I failed the static test at bedford, so you do need to be under it. As others have said, if you are borderline then you may fail the drive by. Having to back on a trackday past noise meters, thats a pita.

However, they are very helpfull in ensuring you have every opportunity to fix the issue prior to sending you home.