Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SLR wheel bolt torque?

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

Having just received a set of old style 5 spoke SLR rims (thanks Dave SL77 *thumbup*) I'm planning to do some extra "totally compulsive behaviour *eek*" polishing on them. To get the best results I need to remove the split rim nuts and bolts 2 at a time then re-torque. Does anyone know or can suggest the torque figure I should be tightening to?

Stu.

Stu, Those are the one's we're running. Whatever Mike told us seems to have done the trick. I've done around 6k miles on them and my firend has done similar with a bit of track work also. We did check them after about 500 miles and all was ok.

Could you not put a torque wrench on them now and work up from a low setting, to see what they're currently at?

Rgds

BTW - We had the bolts re-nickle plated to get them looking up to scratch again. If you do take the wheel apart (they are only really 2 part) probably worth making sure they relocate in the exact same holes wheel to hub.

Edited by - ian balson on 13 Sep 2006 17:01:50

Stu,

It was a local company in Poole. I can find out who it was if you wish (Clive my fellow Luddite did all refurbing work, he used to own a car repair centre).

If you pushed me for a torque figure 18lbs rings a bell, but please get it verified, it's not a loud bell !

Rgds

HPC150

Superweight R600kg 😬

Stu,

If you want to see what how the wheels look fully painted check out here and go to the " Luddites.org.uk" section (Orange section on the left) and choose "Pyrenees 2005", "Photos" tab. My car is the one with the white nose band there are a few shots that show the wheels off quite well.

And as Norm says . . plse check that figure 😳

Rgds

HPC150

Superweight R600kg 😬

• Leadership Team

Ian - those bolts look seriously bright! I've managed to find a local company that does nickel plating so I'll give them a call.

Norman - 18lbs does sound rather "un-tight"

Paul - 8lbs sounds even less 😳

I think I'll try top get a feel for them before removal - the nuts ae Ny-loks so they're not going anywhere!

Stu.