Click here if you are having website access problems ×

petrol tank

charlie1

I took the pipe off the petrol tank and moved it so i could knock a dent out, i put the tank back and conected up, problem is i can not get the petrol to flow to the engine, the fuel pump is ticking away and the engine will not fire.

i theh dissconected the pipe from the tank fastened a funnel to it put petrol down and the engine fired and kept running so then i took the funnel off and reconnected the pipe back up to the tank, the car only ran for a few more minutes and then died.

so the petrol is not being sucked from the tank, how do i cure this? help.

Thoughts

1. Petrol in tank?

2. Pick up pipe in tank obstructed, disconect fron pump and blow back down into tank (if there is crud in it it's still in the tank)

3. Try running the pump with the output disconected and directed into a suitable container.

4. Check filter in pump

Pump connnected back up the right way? Both fuel lines and electrically?

Did once have a facet pump running wrong way - no fuel!

Or place pump inlet pipe in to a can of petrol and disconnect hose to carbs - if it pumps then, reconnect to carbs to prove petrol to carbs (although the funnel trick should have done that). If it fires then, pump is lifting fuel -

If petrol not getting from tank to pump - suggest blockage - but you seem to have disproved that.

Did you disconnect actual metal pipe on tank - is it in the right way round - once had a modified Spitfire tank in a car - pickup in tank was not dropping vertically down after I replaced it - so it didn't suck from bottom of tank - more fuel in tank might prove that - ie raise fuel level above inlet pipe.

Bri

I had a similar problem with my 1700 XF. the problem showed itsellf initially as a misfire at high revs due to fuel starvation. went through everthing from plugs to a new fuel pump and a sssion at a tuners and still couldnt cure it. i took my tank out in desperation becuase if I blew down the fuel pipe from the engine end i could hear the bubbles escaping at the tank. However if i tried sucking by using a spare electric fuel pump i could hardly get anything out. it turned out to be a tiny plug of cork which was pushed out of the fuel gauge sender unit by one of its fixing screws. it must of floated for a little while then got fuel logged and sank to the bottom of the tank and eventually got caught in the mouth of the pick-up pipe. It acted like a little valve (a bit like those little flaps that vertical exhaust stacks have on some lorries) I got rid of it with a bit of wire down the fuel tank metal tube, and then fished it out with one of those nifty devices you use to retrive lost screw. Hope this is of use. Regards Des east

Thanks for your replies, problem solved, spoke to a rally driver type mate, he's had lots of experience with the facet pump, soon as i told him he said your pumps still making the right noice but it won't be working [has happened to him several times with this pump] took the pump out,put tube into petrol and conected to the battery the pump, result, nothing.

shot off in my trusty van down to demon tweeks, best part of £50 lighter, back into garage, fit pump, prime, starts first time.

Pity i only spoke to my mate after i had had a good suck at the petrol pipe.

I hope you didn't buy another Red Top (I assume that's what failed originally)thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif........if so, re-pack it back in it's box and swap it for a solid state Facet, or a Webber pump from James Whiting

Edited by - Blatman on 27 Feb 2002 20:30:12