Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electrical problem?

martin b

Broke down at 5.30 this morning on the M25 en route to Wiscombe, suddenly had several complete electrical failures lasting a few seconds followed by a more permanent failure where I couldn't get power to anything . After a few minutes I could get the ignition lights and headlights working but any attempt to start the engine resulted in losing everything again.

After recovery home I tackled the Fia switch, an older version located next to the steering lock, cleaned contacts and generally pulled all electrical bits around ensuring good connections, went for a drive round the block and all seemed well but couldnt resist a second circuit and the fault came back again ( grrr)

Car is a bdr engined hpc

Any thoughts 🤔 as i'm a bit stumped now

Ta

Martin

Martin, almost certainly the 2 large Lucar connectors on the alternator.

Pull them off and pinch gently together with pliers. Refit.

If that's it then the permanant cure it to fit new ones (the present (was going to say current) ones have lost their tension due to heat). Get a piece of heat reflecting material and stick a bit the the terminal block. Don't cover the air vents.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Many thanks Norman, hit the nail on the head *thumbup*

Perhaps I should have posted on here earlier 🙆🏻 would have saved me fruitless hours.

John, I appreciate the concern, I can picture from my previous post you imagining me frantically pulling away at various wires but I did try to be more methodical 😬

Thanks again

Martin

Mick, I thought that the first time it happened to me. It's the two large Lucar spade connectors on the back of the altenator. They are the same circuit and on some alternators it's a single wire (save a few grammes!)

The number 1 branch of the manifold heats these to the point that they lose their "spring" and whilst are on the spade are so lose they make no connection or keep making/breaking.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

• Support Team

Martin - sorry you didn't make Wiscombe but glad you've got the car sorted now. It meant there was only me and Simon Rogers in class 5 - you can gess what the placings were! 😳

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 12 Sep 2006 08:55:24