Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Starter motor for Zetec ?

Cornelius

I recently bought a Brise axial motor for my Zetec.

The following is an extract from an email exchange with Brise:

"your starter motor must have come from a crossflow engine fitted with a Pinto ring gear. Crossflows had an inertia starter with a 9 tooth /29mm dia. pinion, the Pinto engine had a pre-engaged starter

with a 10 tooth /25.4 mm dia. pinion. Our 'Axial' starter part no. 892910AX will be a direct fit replacement and should give you improved hot performance."

The starter motor that was replaced was marked Lucas 25331D 8M90.

MikeK

Well......... 😬

There is a company who manufactures starter motors for most of the major "race" starter motor suppliers.

They in conjunction with Raceline (and me!) are working on a solution for the Zetec hot start problem (when using the standard Crossflow starter and a lightweight Raceline flywheel)

The standard Ford starter is just about OK but as soon as the CR is raised or the engine is hot it starts to struggle.

The solution is to fit a geared starter.

However the major suppliers have so far been unable to find an "of the shelf" solution.

As a result of this, a newly designed geared starter is currently being test fitted to a Zetec block.

If all goes well, it should be available for sale in a few weeks.(famous last words)

As soon as I know there is a proved solution available - don't worry - I will be telling everybody 😬 😬 😬

The next best thing to a geared starter is to have Brise rewind the standard starter to run at 9V. This gives it an extra kick and goes some way to curing the problem. However, its expensive, has no warranty as its "modified" and I know of someone with one of the Brise rewinds who is still experiencing starting problems.

As soon as there is any news on the new geared starter, I will post the details here!

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments that take your breath away.

Forgot to add *arrowup*....AFAIK the starter problem is only an issue if you have a Raceling flywheel and a Raceline sump.

This is due to the way the sump is profiled around the starter. there's no room to fit a longer bodied starter.

As far as I know, this is not so much of an issue with the "cut-n-shut" sumps as there is more clearance.

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments that take your breath away.

Steve-

Didn't know that.

You've described a problem I had- 1.8 Zetec, skimmed head, Dunnel cut/shut sump, raceline lightweight flywheel and hot starting problems with the old "crossflow" starter motor.

As stated, I've now fitted the Brise 'Axial' starter part no. 892910AX.

Quite a nice bit of kit.

When its hot, I can the feel that the starter motor struggles very momentarily to get turning, but it always has done so far (thank goodness as it was flipping expensive!).

MikeK

The Brise starters are nice but won't fit if the car has a Raceline cast sump.

The new starter is rumoured to be around £150

BOATBUOY, I'm guessing your starter will be a standard Mondeo version. I'd also guess you have a lightened mondeo flywheel.

The Raceline flywheel is a steel one and is designed to make use of the Crossflow starter (its fitted with a crossflow ring gear which is located in the same position (in relation to the bellhouing) as it would be on the Crossflow.

This is a neat solution as most people upgrade from a Crossflow to a Zetec.

Unfortunately, as you start to tune the engine, the Crossflow starter just becomes a little under powered.

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wanted to add an update to this thread.

My new geared Zetec starter has been in the car for a few weeks now.

In that time its not missed a beat *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Even with a partialy flat battery (alternator problem) and a very hot engine, it still turns the engine over with ease. The gearing means that the motor is not stressed too, which is IMHO a nicer solution to the rewound 9V crossflow jobbies. Even after plolonged cranking, the starter is cool to the touch.

I'm really impressed with the build quality of the unit.

It comes with new bolts and is a doddle to install (10 mins max - then again I've had quite a bit of practice when it comes to fitting starters *wink*)

Raceline are producing two versions:

One to fit the Zetec with a Raceline (Crossflow ring gear) flywheel.

One to fit the Zetec with a standard (or lightened) Zetec flywheel.

The units are now available from Raceline - call Pete or Chris for prices and availability.

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

As an aside to this, I was talking to the owner of my old Zetec car the other week and the rewound (by Brise) 9v starter motor I had fitted at around 7k miles drew its terminal breath at around 14k so if that is typical, then these aren't a long term solution unlike the one Steve now has from Raceline which does a proper job. *thumbup*

Sorry Phil. ☹️

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 28 Nov 2006 08:03:09