Click here if you are having website access problems ×

average life of a caterham engine

eric

Hi

I know that the life of an engine depends on the way of use it.

But I have heard that R500 have very short life and X-flow GT a very long life.

Could you tell me about your car, the mileage and the level of

health of your engine, circuit use or not, daily use ...

It could be interesting concerning the reliability

1700 x flow, about 13000 miles, and if i told you that it is SWEEEEEEET then i would no doubt be cursing it to death this weekend.

but so far, it has been. starts beautifully, runs nicely.

i loooove it. and while the good natured soul inside me cringes with the noise, tearing past dawdlers with a roar makes me smile... teeth.gif

j

R500 engines are now proving to be pretty durable. I think initial development engines gave them an undeserved reputation.

Crossflow's reputedly may start to develop leaky piston rings by about 25000 miles - look for smoke from the breather.

I guess it comes down to how you use it. Vauxhalls are about as durable an engine as there is (in untuned form, it is hugely over engineered) but I blew mine at about 20,000 miles(2 broken pistons) by abusing it!!

1600 sprint 30 000 miles with me, I don't know before because I bought this former race car without any speed counter ....

One valve bent when I bought it.

3 clutch cables broken in 3 weeks, on LHD, the way is long, so I change for hydraulic then no problem since.

Head changed for unleaded, the engine runs 98 UL and with 15W50 oil, no oil consumption, the engine seems to be in very good shape.

5 speed box noisy but it must be an problem of oil viscosity

The car is 10 years old, to me for 3.5 years

I hope to reach 80000 miles

In the original manufacturers applications these engines are expected (in standard tune) to last 100,000miles plus - maybe a little less for the X-flow which is a 60s design.

In a Caterham they should last longer because:

- Caterham owners tend to be fussy about what oil they use, and change it more often.

- Caterhams are less likely to be used for lots of short journeys and cold starts.

- Sympathetic Caterham owners let the engine/oil warm up before driving hard

On the other hand they should last less miles because:

- Caterham owners tend to use lots of revs

- The cars are often left standing for a week or more, so all the oil drains off cam lobes etc and creates more wear at start up.

- Caterham owners are less tolerant of engines down on power/burning oil and consider the engine worn out when the high mileage saloon driver would just throw another litre of £3.99 a gallon motor oil in and not care too much.

Anything else to go into the equation?

Jonathan

I can confirm AVES 208bhp VX engine was well within tolerence when I dismantled it at 70,000 miles. So good was it, we reassembled with the original bearings!

Even my 280bhp VX engine had no real wear apart from some bore wear caused by the longer stroke when I dismantled it after 14,500 miles.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 26 Feb 2002 17:52:10

To the post about the reliability of R500 engines, I was at Caterham on Sat and one of the guys there said they have "quite a few" R500's in at the moment all with engine warranty work. He couldn't really say what it was though. Anybody know anything or is this just a coincidence/old news do you think?

I'd take a close look at your rods Arnie - Your claimed 9,500 + rpm with a 90mm + stroke and a relatively large bore won't last long in my opinion however well couterbalanced your crank is.

On the whole engines are like us - if they're properly designed for the job in hand and well maintained they should last - take a formula one engine as an example - how many of our engines would last at max rpm for 500 miles ?

I personally won't use anything in a race engine other than Valvoline Race 20/50 oil.

Edited by - edmandsd on 27 Feb 2002 17:14:43