Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wind up your nose

Nick

OK, can we get back to it1 Does anyone have any ideas. i do not like driving with the sidescreens on, the 'deflectors are useless, I agree, but there should be a solution??

How about we hire a wind tunnel and try out ideas?? Its all fun on short journeys, but I do agree, gets a bit much on a long run!

Tony Stattersfield

Tony,

The deflectors can be improved. Next time you're using them, push the one on your side out by about 30 degrees. Instant improvement. You could add a metal rod with a rubber end to the deflector to hold it out there but I've never tried it.

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

Thanks Alex, I had tried increasing the angle, and yes, it makes a big difference. I wondered if anyone has tried an inverted 'L' shape of deflector, fitted almost as a 'windscreen extension'? I think the root of the problem is air running over the top of the deflectors, so by increasing the height and closing the gap a bit might help. If anyone agrees, I might fabricate a couple to try! What I have in mind is to use the same width as the current ones, across the top, say about 100mm in. A picture would be worth a thousand words!

Tony Stattersfield

It occurred to me that you could easily increase the angle that the deflectors stick out by increasing the bend at the bottom, as it were.... What would it take to heat them up sufficiently to bend them without making them go translucent through excess heat. I've tried hottish water but was unwilling to try kettle-hot water in case I ruined them as described.

Gas Mk 3 / 160 degrees for 3-4 minutes. I've bent the bottoms back at least 90 degrees, so that the wind deflector end rests against the 'door frame' trim instead of against the paintwork. Bending them back any further doesn't force the deflector out any more.

And the result...much improved! 100 mph (disused runway, ahem) with or without Oakleys. A bit blustery, but ain't that what it's about? teeth.gif

Thanks to the Santa Pod crew for the ideas!