Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Trailer wheel binding

Graeme Smith

I think you will need to disasemble the whole thing and give it a full check-over, as if its as bad as you suggest it could have wrecked the shoes and possibly damaged the bearings. iirc PRG do a guide on brake and hub maintenace that comes with the trailer when new *thumbup*

Don't be tempted to adjust the brake rods as that can be a bit of a minefield and is best left to an expert

Had that happen to me after I got my Minno serviced (by a local firm). Ended up dragging one tyre so it blew and ended up with a neat slice off the bottom! The AA came out to me at MIRA and loosened off the brakes which had been over adjusted - all ran sweetly after that. Had a similar problem when someone I had leant the trailer to had used the handbrake 😳 and it had locked solid. The service was meant to cure that problem! *wink*

Been fine since the AA chap did his thing *thumbup*

Het nemen van mijn Caterham aan Holland

Often it's not over adjusted brakes that do this. When the brakes shoes get moist they can get stuck to the drums.

Rocking the trailer back & forward often does the trick or alternatively whack the offending rim with a baseball bat or suitable length of 3 x 3.

Used to have to do this with mini brakes as well a few moons ago!