Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Racing the 7

Red SLR

I am going to be doing a fair bit of sprinting and hill climbing this year and I was wondering does anybody recommend any particular technical changes to the car? Its a 1.6 SL.

Would a flat floor setup be advisable or any other suspension changes?

Thanks

Simon.

X777CAT

Simon,

I suggest you try hillclimbing and sprinting first before making any major changes - I am assuming you are entering in the roadgoing <1700cc classes. You will find most cars now have TB's (I know you have these) etc etc - they also tend to use the same wheel tyre combinations - either 13inch with Bridgestone RE720's or 15 inch with Bridgestone SO2/SO3?.

Flat floor setup may help - I know some who have done this.

How about the safety side? I assume you have a regulation fire-ex, cut-out switch, FIA bar/strut etc etc.

Make sure you read the regs carefully - several championships insist on proper windscreens, a passenger seat etc etc. for cars in this type of class.

Enjoy yourself - hopefully I may see you at one of the midland venues.

Brian

Thanks for the info, as far as I know I dont need a cut out switch and dont want to fit one really.

What fire ext do you need?

I have the FIA bar and strut.

I have to have seats which are covered and full windscreen etc.

Boy am I glad I didnt fit an aeroscreen.

Thanks

Simon.

X777CAT

Hi Simon,

hoping to do this myself this year. As far as I can see from my blue book, for sprints hill climbs, you only need the FIA cage, Timing Strut, Oil catch Tank, Throttle return Spring and Yellow tape on Earth lead, as detailled in the info in Competitors Corner on the main club site. The other stuff - cut off switch, etc., is only recommended. Obviously you'd be mad to compete without an extinguisher though, and full harness belts are definitely better than the standard lap and diagonals.

I'm going for an AFFF extinguisher of 1.75 litres as I don't trust the dry powder ones.

As far as I remember, blue book says you can run aero screens in road going class, but local regs might insist on full screen.

As far as set up goes, I'm going to see how I get on at the first attempt, as my driving's going to be the limiting factor:-)

Mike

Edited by - mike ashurst on 25 Feb 2002 13:51:35

Edited by - mike ashurst on 25 Feb 2002 13:54:00

I think most of the Northern based championships insist on Full screens and so you have made the right decision there. Cut off switches, fire extinguishes etc are only recommendations as far as I recall.

Some scrutineers like the battery terminals covered completely in addition to the yellow tape on the earth straps. You can get pucka plastic covers for the terminals or just cover with tank tape or similar.

Mostly common sense stuff and generally in road going classes you will find a degree of lenience, if they realise that you are a 'new' entry. Scrutineers aren't to be scared of and they will always offer opinion if asked. Caterhams come as standard with a fair degree of competition preparation already done for you.

Have fun!

Andrew

Simon

You will find that even though the blue book does not insist on full windsreen individual championships do, CCC Speed, Real Estate Midland Speed and Aldon/HSA all insist on full screens in their roadgoing classes.

Cut out switch may be optional but if you don't have one the scrutineer (nice chaps) will insist on a sticker indicating which way to switch the ignition off and where it is located.

Have fun, I've done it for the last 2 years and really enjoy it, you can drive as hard or as gingerly as you like, its all against the clock!!

Graham

cool.gif1700 Live Axle X/Flow, got the engine upgrade now all I've got to do is try & beat the rest of the guys up the hill!!!!!id=red> cool.gif