Click here if you are having website access problems ×

List 1A tyres for 15"

SteveP

Despite many threads on the subject of tyres, looking for an answer specific to 15" wheels.

Bought a set of 15" wheels shod with 205/50 Bridgestone SO2's when I bought the car, thinking that they would be great for sprinting.

Have just tried fitting them today for the first time, only to find that the fronts foul on the cycle wing supports and I can't 'encourage' the supports enough to give me clearance. Rear tyres are fine.

So, thought is ditch the 205's on the front (keep rears) and get two new 195/50's.

Question is what to go for that will mix well with the Brigestone's on the back, or is this a daft idea and get a complete set of sticky 195/50's all round?

Thoughts and comments welcome. Also, if anyone knows of a good supplier / fitter in the East Midlands if you could let me have the details.

Car is 1700 Supersprint, 135bhp

Thanks

SteveP

I believe the 205s are a tad too wide for 135 bhp in the first place. I did a short season with 138bhp on 195 SO2s last year and found them very good.

The car is now going up to 180bhp-ish and I'll be sticking with the 195s for sure.

In the Midlands rounds the SO2 seems to be the preferred option over anything else including RE720 so my advice would be to go for 195/50 SO2 all round.

Ken

Thanks Ken. In an ideal world I would agree, but from browsing the other threads SO2's are no longer available new so I'm forced into looking for an alternative.

Unless anyone knows of a supplier of new SO2's that is...

SteveP

You're quite right - I'd forgotten that SO2s are no longer in production and have been superseded by the SO3 last year - I can only assume they have similiar characteristics.

The SO2s thankfully are still in 1A in the blue book though and you still might find a new set as I did 6 months ago.

Thanks for the info.

I have a follow up question relating to the rims themselves.

The rims on which my current SO2's sit are 7J x 15, whereas the normal road Prisoner wheels are 6.5J x 15. Given the problem I'm having with fouling, even if I put 195's on the 7J rims, will they still be too wide to fit under the front wings?

Thanks

SteveP

Edited by - SteveP on 25 Feb 2002 09:29:26