Click here if you are having website access problems ×

battery charging - help!

Caesar

I have just bought am OPTIMATE 3 charger / conditioner but find, on reading the instructions (unusual for me) that it says "not for charging dry cell or NiCad batteries". I have a varley red top battery, can I use this charger or, if not, anyone got a suggestion.

(It seems strange if I cannot, as I use an ordinary charger to top it up 🤔)

CoSwoRth it! in the end!!

Hi Brent,

not yet. Spoke to the ever helpful Simon Lambert at Dartford who gave me a suggestion to check whether the sender or the guage was at fault; it seems the sender may be so another is winging it's way to me to check.

I must say that in my heart, I know the engine was bench run so there must be oil pressure but I anm reluctant to run it any more without a proper reading on the guage. Having said that, I did run it on idle for ten minutes until the fans kicked in (with my hand on the kill button, just in case of a "bad noise") and nothing seized up!

The oil level is right up the dip mainly because I have put loads of oil in , much more than recommended, but according to Mister Lambert's recent mail out about CSR oil levels (have you got yours?) it doesnt matter as it will spit it out when it is full.

Rather like me on a Saturday night!

David

• Support Team

Yes you can. The Varley Red Top is an absorbed acid battery i.e. same basic tech as your normal lead acid car battery just that the acid is absorbed in glass mat. I use an Optimate on my Red Top 15.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Thanks Shaun!

Pleased about that! The Optimate is a nice bit of kit, especially with the "wander" socket that you can hard wire into the battery circuit so you only have to plug the charger in without having to get to the battery.

Good oh!