Click here if you are having website access problems ×

3D mapped ignition X flow, good upgrade ?

eric

1600 cc+ Stage 2 HEAD + A2 Camm + 2 Webers

The best up grade would be to change A2 for a 234 0R

to fit an 3D mapped ignition

The system running is an Aldon 103 FXY with points and condenser + Lucas DLB 105 + Lucas speedlead + NGK BP7ES

many thanks

Difficult to comment on this one as the A2 cam is not very agressive and I don't think you would see the benefits with 3D that you would get with a more agressive cam. The ignition system won't make the car any more powerful but will make it feel more modern and improve bottom end and mid range. When I was faced with this dilemma, I upgraded the engine first, which will give more power and then fitted 3D later.

If RK is looking in perhaps he could comment with more authority than me

Roger King fitted a Weber alpha 3D to my 1800 x-flow and it certainly improved pickup, part throttle running and economy but max power was exactly the same. I would expect a 234 to be fine in a 1600 as the 244 was great in my 1660. I ran a Aldon 103fxy for a weekend about 10 years ago, the static advance required to achieve the advance needed for power and torque made the engine a bugger to start, I re-fitted the standard Bosch. I would expect a 1600 with a 234 cam and mapped ignition to be a very sweet engine.

Paul