Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

tyres...........again

FlymoFraser

Gents

Plan to sprint next year is coming together:

Car...check

FIA roll bar & strut...check

wifes permission......check

Tyres......... have a look on blatchat what a can of worms!

I know Stunner Scudoes are the only option for 1a but I am a tightwad and have 14 inchers (wheels of course) and don't want to change to 15 inch, so whats the best choice?

If the answer is it's more down to me than the tyres then are Yoko A539s on list 1a as they look reasonable , but hey what do I know.......nothing that's why I am asking you lot 😬

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle

I ran on Yoko 539's for four seasons (not the same set though *eek*) and I think they are a good choice if you do not want to go the 15" Stunner route. Certainly a good choice for your first year in sprinting while you get to know the car and the tracks.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

Or you could go with the Bridgestone Potenza RE720 which I think are still available in 14" size. According to the website they list 185/60/14. Before the Stunners became the sprint pimp's choice (I should know I have them *wink*) many of us had these and they were OK - I think generally regarded as a little softer than the Yokos but not much in it. If you want to really get competitive you can have most of the tread shaved off which exposes (supposedly) a softer compound layer. However, I can vouch for the fact that they are a little short of grip when you first go out on them after having them shaved - I have a rhodenderon trophy to remind me of of what you hit when you visit the scenery at Longcross 😳

In your first year I doubt the tyre choice is going to be a major factor in the placings. I am sure you are going to enjoy it whatever you choose.

Mike