Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Ignitor Kit Installation on 1700 X-Flow

Streetlife

You may have read about my problems with running on, etc. etc. last week. After reading helpful advice from everyone and ringing around I opted for the relatively cheap option of replacing the lucas electronic ignition with an ignitor kit.

Kit has arrived and looks simple to install so out come all the bits and in they go.

The instructions go through a basic setup of set engine to TDC No. 1 - Done, place magnet holder over distributor shaft - Done. Only problem is, the magnet does not align with the pickup and is about 40 degrees out i.e. the pickup point is between 2 magnets. I've not gone so far as to adjust the timing so they do align because this seems so far out that there is no way it will spark.

I was replacing an old Lucas electronic system whereas the kit is very much aimed at replacing some points. The questions are:

Is there something fundamentally stupid I've done wrong or not done?

Is the base plate in the distributor different for a points system versus the lucas electronic system?

Is the dis. cap different between the old points system and the electronic system which would lead to slightly different alignment?

Thanks for your help

Nick

Nick,

I used this system on my crossflow (now zetec)but purchased a complete dizy with aldon igniter fitted.

Don't know if there is any differences between the points and Lucas Elect-ign base plates, or any adjustment on the base plate, but it seems to me that you may need to remove the dizy from the block and replace it with the drive in a slightly different position.

obviously the rotor arm still needs to point at one of the four 'posts' in the cap (but leads can be moved round so any post is No1), whilst final, fine adjustment is made on the clamp swivel using a timing light.

Does that make any sense?

allen