Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Leather seats - broken frame?

db

My drivers seat made a clunk yesterday as I turned to shoulder-check whilst reversing. It's now gone a bit floppy, and on feeling the frame, it feels like something has popped out under the upholstery on both sides. Clearly a product of an SV driver.

Is there an easy way to the the upholstery off? (in a way that allows it to go back on) to have a check and a fiddle. I can't tell if something has just popped out of a slot (like a tent pole coming apart), or if its altogether more serious...

Suggestions about losing weight will be rebuffed... 😬 😬 😬

My ... Preciousss!

• Area Representative

Assume S type seats. Yes you can take the seats apart. I've done it, but can't remember exactly how - seem to recall there are a number of cable ties and bits of glue holding the plastic back in the seat. Don't recall anything clippping together on the frame. Suspect you may have broken it and need it welding.

Seem to recall finding the seats needed a bit of improvement when I rebuilt them - like re-gluing the foam which had twisted around the frame etc.

Not really a difficult job if you take care.

Quick tip - if you've not already got them, replace hex head bolts holding seats in car with cap head bolts or better still dome head bolts with allen key fitting. Much easier to fit and remove.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

...or even take the runners to your local metal fabricators and have the bolts tig-welded to the runner. Hugely siplifies droping the seats in and out, esp with tillets and lowered floors where the seat won't move far enough forward to access the rear bolt.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here - UPDATED

So I've managed to get the leather cover off (it clips in using a rather neat tongue and groove) and take a look, and the problem is the welding has broken on both sides.

CC are quoting 300+VAT for a new seat, or sending back to the manufacturer for possible repair, whilst having no seat...

Are there any other options anyone can think of?

My ... Preciousss!

• Area Representative

Broken seat frame? They all do that sir!

When you get them welded, ask them to weld in an angled fillet of steel for strength. weighs next to nothing but increases the strength many fold. Some people weld in a steel washer. Mine have now lasted for 6 years.

visit Carrotland.co.uk

when this has happened to me I have just put the passenger seat in the driver's side and dropped the broke seat off at Oxted Trimming. Doesn't cost much to have fixed and they come back all professionally put together (rather than the bodge job I would make!).

Graham

Graham, since I'm - shall we say - of SV build, and Mrs db is not, swapping seat won't be popular.

Also since I can't tell one ene of a spanner from the other, I'm far better off having Oxted take it out there and then, which they say they are happy to do.

My ... Preciousss!

• 2 weeks later...