Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

O/T Audi overheating

Alan Bowler

My 1.8 A4 (1998) is overheating. Its at a garage, but they seem to be struggling (and so is my wallet).

Oil temp is OK - water temp goes off the scale when its driven. They don't see the problem

when its sat idling (???)

They've replaced the viscous (sp?) fan - no joy.

They've now replaced the thermostat - no joy.

They *think* the pump is OK, and now hope its an airlock they introduced when they

replaced the thermostat, but seem to be struggling.

No obvious sign of oil-in-water/water-in-oil/head gasket symptoms.

I don't really want to pay for a new rad when they suggest that, only to have that

not fix the problem too.

Any ideas? This might start to hit my 7 upgrade budget.

Cheers

AB

Alan,

Sorry to bring bad news, but I've seen this on various VW's - being the headgasket.

One thing I'd try first was to swap the expansion tank cap though.

You are sure it's not down to a poor earth? How has the oil temp been measured?

The gauges are slow-acting, hence you would not notice a change in the reading if you rev the engine in neutral, but when you drive at a certain RPM you might get a funny reading if the alternator output infact causes the earth of the engine to be different from the body of the cars.

Just a thought...

/regin

Sounds like it could be the water pump!

The simple test is to drive the car untill it starts to overheat and put the heater on full. If the heater starts hot but then gradually cools down it is the water pump that is not circulating the water.

I learned this through a recent experience on my Audi TT.

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ran it with the heater on full when it first overheated to try and help cool things down, but it kept

blowing hot ☹️

Garage says it does seem like a circulation problem though.

Don't think its an earth problem. Npthing else weird happening, and the water temp rise was steady.

Maybe a blocked up radiator? Fingers crossed its not the HG.

Mrs B has just been looking at Golf prices on "Drive the Deal". There goes the 7 upgrade budget

for the next 5 years...

AB

Check the fans and the heavy duty fuses that are in the seperate fuse holder in the engine bay. I had a similar issue with a Cupra, same engine. Turned out the 2 fans are supposed to be a matched pair but over time one had developed a higher resistance. This was causing its fuse to blow and not enabling the final stage to kick in when needed causing overheating. To fix the dealer wanted IRO £650 to replace both fans assemblies, fuse holder and the labour to change which included taking off the front bumper

Seek forgiveness, not permission.

Rules are for the interpretation of wise men and the obedience of fools.

Both my Golf and my father's A3 have done this. On both cars it was one of the blades having come off the impeller (spelling?) in the water pump. Even the AA man who picked up my car thought it was the HG (although without the gas test)Your garage seem to have ruled this out but its just a thought.

Will suggest these to the garage - thanks. They just love it when I call offering suggestions...

Today they were "too busy to look at it" so I'm stuck with no tin-top for the bank hol now (Mrs+kids

are gtting used to the bus). It just sounds like a water pump problem to me - can't see why they

can't check it - are they difficult to get at? I hate this situation where you start losing confidence

in the garage - I guess it might well be a tricky problem, and they are trying (so they say) to look

at the cheapest answers first.

Anyone wanna buy an A4 with a possibly blown head gasket, or that might possibly just need a new fuse?

AB

An easy check for blcked radiator, or no flow thought the radiator.- Is to put your hand on th radiator core.

You will easily identify cool spots in the core.

This is somehting your garage has probably done.

Malcolm

Alan, Sorry to hear this, Garage certainly not lying about pulling car half apart. Nightmare job according to my friendly none franchised mechanic who did mine.

Preventively changed the water pump on a 1.8 20v (Turbo Leon, well beyond my Haynes and headscratching abilities) on recommendation of parts supplier (vwspares.com *thumbup*) at time of timing belt, Ancillary Belt, roller and tensioner. Design has changed such that the impeller is now brass not plastic and at £28 for the pump wasn't going to argue. Pain to do and lots of labour £££ 🙆🏻 Anyone with a pre 2002 (IIRC) Audi/Skoda/VW/Seat 1.8 might want to think about this at timing belt change if not punting the car on.... ☹️

1.4K SS 😬 here 'You've got be in it to lose it !'

• Support Team

My first post so be nice 😬

Had a couple of A4's, Petrol and Diesel and a Golf tractor.

The dealer insists on replacing the water pump at the c80k miles major service on all of them. Costly ☹️

Maybe they are aware of a problem?

Got the car back at last. Bill wasn't as bad as I'd feared, plus they showed me the u/s pump and borderline viscous fan.

All was fine until I started to drive, the steering didn't feel right, and they flagged me down with power steering fluid

pouring out all over the forecourt! An O-ring had failed, I guess when they put it all back together. Fixed that

quickly enough.

For the record, car is '98 but has only done 60K, so I'd say changing the pump at 80K is prudent.

Tim - we are always nice. Well mostly. I am anyway.

Welcome to Blatchat! Wanna buy another A4? *smile*

AB