Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How do my nipples work then?

ben7

I spent last night fiddling with my nipples on the front calipers, bleeding the brakes. I managed to overtighten one of them and snap the end off, leaving the screw bit tightly in place.

I'm not sure how these things work. I would presume that because it sheared off due to over tightening, it will not leak (be safe), although the hole running through the centre of it is still visable. I appreciate that I'm buggered when I next adjust/change my brakes, but I have a track day looming this weekend and want to get out.

Ben

Don't want to commit to anything that I may later want to rely on in court (as they say).

But, The seal is actually the tapered part of the bleed nipple sealing off the hole. If I was in your position, I'd be quite happy to use it, if, as you say, the nipple is tight. *thumbup*

Yep, the protruding nipple has broken off, but the the other bit is in place. I've applied the brakes hard and it's not leaking so it looks ok, I just wanted to check that it was indeed the tapered bit that seals it and the visable hole in the centre is actually closed from underneath.

Any ideas how I can get the bottom bit out? If I drill it, then there is the risk that I'll get bits dropping into the caliper. Could these be flushed out when I bleed the brakes again?

Ben

I'd try to remove the snapped of bit before it gets road grime etc on it and it becomes even more difficult to remove over time.

Tip is don't bother with screw extractors. They don't really work very well.

Drill a small suitable sized hole for a small torx bit. Large enough for the points on the torx to have something to bite into.

Gently tap the torx bit into the hole and undo the stub. Be very careful as a brake calliper is a delicate thing.

Might be better to remove the calliper and get it on the bench to sort out.

I had 8mm bleed nipples on a old Honda - they were pretty fragile. Above method worked a treat.

10mm bleeders are more robust but still don't need overtightening - just nipping up really

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Steve, I had often wondered what those little funny shaped things were that came with socket sets *smile*

Anyhow, didn't need to drill a hole in the end, torx bit gently inserted with use of hammer and screwed staight out *thumbup*

Thanks once again,

Ben