Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Indi Seats

Steve Brown

I'm considering making one of these, (having already done a 2 part foam job), but am concerned about:

- are they as easy to make as it says in the adverts (using only a domestic vacuum cleaner!)

- is there anywhere cheaper than Demon T to get them

- what size kit (30/40/50/70 litre) for a 7

Alternatively, is there somewhere near Yorkshire that will make you a custom seat for reasonable money?

ps I want a low back seat (ie no headrest) so a Tillet seat won't solve the problem.

Steve,

I used one of the smaller kits to make a seat base. I use the leather S-type seats and wanted a rigid base for track days.

It was reasonably easy to make, just takes a little time and patience (and did involve our Hoover wink.gif) The kit consists of polystyrene beads, a two part glue that smells very much like ardaldite and a very stretchy plastic bag.

I bought mine from Grand Prix Race Wear who were a little bit cheaper than DT.

Hope this helps.

Peter

I use a Indi Seat in my Caterham HPC. I made the seat around 2 years ago and I have been happy with it.

I had earlier seats that I had made using expanding polyurethane foam and I believe that the Indi seat is superior.

The Indi Seat does not use an expanding foam. It's the beaded material that gives the seat density and the resin just holds eveything together. It is much easier to shape using the bag that is supplied since you can create a partial vacuum to the beads before adding the resin. The partial vacuum allows you to better shape and test the seat for fit before adding the resin.

One neat trick I stumble upon: After the seat had "set up" and I removed it from the plastic bag I noticed creases or cracks/faults where the plastic bag had been creased itself (the instructions warn you about this). I found that I could fill these creases with a foam sealant that is sold in hardware stores (at least in the USA) under the brand name "Great Stuff".

I was also able to use the "Great Stuff" to modify my seat: I had cut out a portion of the finished seat so that I could run seat belt through, changed my mind when I saw that the seat lost rigidity, and "re-attached" the piece that I had cut out by using Great Stuff as a sort of glue.

The size that you will need is 40 liters and for the small difference in price you may want to use the 50 liters.

Cost in the USA for an indi seat kit is approx. $250.

Let me know if you need additional info.

Bart, 93 Catherham HPC, Pittsburgh Pa, USA