Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sylva/Harlequin Jester for sale

RossCarmichael

Ross,

When I was 19 (some 28 years ago I bought a Mini Marcos off a guy for £90. Unfortunately, he had decided to paint it black (with house paint) and make it into a convertable by cutting the roof off with a hacksaw!

I spent the winter fibreglassing the roof back on, rebuiling most of it and spraying it white. It had flared wheel arches and 6" wide wheels and the end result was.........not the sleekest sports car I've ever seen!

When I sold it the syncro's had gone on all but top gear and the gearbox whined. I just told the guy driving it that it had a 'racing box' and taught him how to double de clutch! (he was young too!)

He was overjoyed with it! It just shows 'beauty in in the eye of the beholder'. Some people like 'us' like to be different. You've just got to find another one!

As an epilogue to this story, I went to the Goodwood Revival a couple of years ago and whitnessed the biggest applause of the day going to........... You guessed it, a white Mini Marcos.

Bruce.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*arrowup* O/T but I remember at Le Mans this year an Austin Allegro going through the parked up hoards and it got the loudest cheer of the day...then the chap inside hit the 'dukes of hazard' air horns...brought the foof down 😬 😬 😬 *thumbup*

Dave Ardley. White Xflow with Clams

Don't point that beard at me, it might go off.

Groucho Marx

Updated photos here

Thank you everyone for your contributions and to Angus & Co. for their supporting comments.

Regarding a decision on the car: I think I'll make a concerted effort from early next year, and will probably try e-bay, which I hadn't originally considered.

To those who don't like it - so what? I don't need you to like my car for me to love it...and the trouble is I still do. To keep everything ticking over, I drove it briefly last weekend and it still brings a massive smile to my face! 😬

For anyone who cares, I'll try and come back to this post and let you know what/when/how/if I shift the car next year.

Best regards,

Ross