Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sylva/Harlequin Jester for sale

RossCarmichael

Ok guys lets not banter on whether it's to your taste or not. *thumbup*

Perhaps as a car club who sell vehicles that are still classified as 'Quirky' we should offer this guy some constructive advice instead. *thumbup* *thumbup* 🤔

R500 Mango Madness

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EFA, there is such a thing as tact. You of all people as a salesman should have learned this. 🙆🏻 You should also know that there is a market for anything that looks like it might be a bit of fun. Especially cheap fun.

As it goes this car isn't to my taste either. For that matter a number of my female friends think my 7 is a stupid little car bought by a man in the throes of a mid-life crisis and unable to come to terms with the ageing process, but they don't say so every time they see me in it.

Nevertheless there are a number of similar 30 something males who look at my car and want one like it.

This car has a small niche market, I'd advertise it in a kit car mag/forum with a temptingly low price ignoring the build cost. I think £3k is too much. Bear in mind that my tintop is year 2000, was built from new parts, has a 2L petrol engine, leather,air and a CD and cost me under £2.5k this summer. 😳

A bit of fun like this will probably find a buyer at under 2k, especially at the tail end of the year. Sorry if this seems low but the sum of the parts is a Fiesta 1.1 Mk1 on the original wheels and the kit. Kit cars other than 7 types and 30s style roadsters are known to be a sod to sell. Be positive about it, you've had the fun out of it for 6 years, you no longer use it, get rid to someone who will use it, move on and use the money to do something interesting in the next bit of your life, be that shiny bits for your 7, a holiday or whatever. *smile*

A relatively extensive Google search (well what else is there to do at lunchtime) *wink* only revealed one of these in an old local paper advert and it was for just the 'kit' and therefore needing a donor Fiesta but was priced at £750 - assuming you can pick up a Fiesta with soundish mechanicals for £250 (and probably less) then I guess anything over about £1500 is too much even for a completed car after six years......I'd stick it on Ebay starting at £500 and see what you can get for it *thumbup*

Dave, I pride myself in having a tasteless non-traditional Seven. All those clams and unoffensive ,traditionalist colours I find boring, but not ridiculous. This car is ridiculous. The Harlequin Jester - even the name suggests it was conceived as a joke.

This isn't attitude at all. Its about taste. I cannot imagine how someone could invest real money in a car like this unless they had an old Fiesta in need of donor parts. You'd look a knob driving a Radical down your local high street, and we're all well on the way, in the minds of many, (including BOSS's female friends) pretty knobish driving a Seven.

So lets just imagine being in a room from almost any section of the community and announcing you drive a Harlequin Jester. Says it all really, before you even see it.

For GOds sake, even Neil Kinnock wouldn't drive one!

Finally (for BOSS), tact is only required when actually selling. Then I have plenty.

Off to close a few deals.....TTFN.

K2RUM - The car of two halves with no engine

So lets just imagine being in a room from almost any section of the community and announcing you drive a Harlequin Jester. Says it all really, before you even see it.
- unfortunately it is hard to argue against the logic of this 😬 - still think it is a bit mean to say it here on a 'for sale' thread, though....

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

96,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

Personally, I think the car is over priced for what it is.

Most people build these with XR2 parts, so the performance will be slightly better.

Try and find a similar example for sale, and price yours accordingly.

Only dead fish go with the flow....

Technically, Arnie was really only responding to Ross's request from members as to why the car wasn't selling and as such, although his remarks may have been a little extreme (but I have to confess, I did find them amusing) they may be on the money there....I guess that this car will only appear to Jester afficionados...

Ross, why not ebay it and see what you get? Stick a reserve on there that you'd be happy with and the market will determine the price. I might be tempted to lower your expectations on the price though...

Ooh dear. Scary thread alert.

Here's some fresh comments on the photos if anyone's still interested:

- junk the photos

- get rid of the ugly mug boyz having fun

- get rid of the scrapped fiesta

- make sure all the photos have the same registration plate

- in fact move the rear plate - it ruins whatever design thought went into that shape

- definitely get some alloys

Sell in an autotrader or something to girlies that werent actually looking for one of these but are fed up looking at boring cars.

I don't know why anybody would be surprised at EFA's comments. He is rude, arrogant, insensitive and utterly without tact, as amply demonstrated here on numerous occasions and he's such a good salesman why I bet he could even sell carbon fibre to McLaren! *tongue*

Anyhow swiftly moving on, as others have said Ross I honestly believe the price to be rather high for what the car is. At the right price, I'm sure you would find somebody interested in buying it. There have after all, been quite a few of these sold already and well, you bought one so I'm sure you can't be the only person in this country who likes it.

As you have said it is difficult to put a price on a car of this type but realistically, I would have thought you should be looking at something around half of what you are advertising it for at the moment. I realise it may have a place in your heart but if you need to move it on then I don't believe there is any alternative to pricing it more realistically and this probably isn't the best place to sell it either. Good luck with selling it though. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 6 Oct 2006 14:56:46

• 2 weeks later...

Ross,

Keep it.

If it was your first build project, and regardless of how it's viewed by the rest of society *tongue* you'll regret selling it in years to come. Sounds like you're not going to get a whole heap of cash for it anyway, so park it up and show it to your Grand kids in years to come.

Jon

Find an empty field and let your children destroy it, rebuild it, destroy it etc *thumbup*

Have to confess that whilst Arnie showed no tact whatsoever (and he is fatter than you Angus) I did find it very amusing and agree with his and Taffy Jacko's underlying thoughts 😬 😬

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Edited by - Nifty on 21 Oct 2006 09:52:03