Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Have I jiggered my head gasket? R500

anthony1956

I had the wide open one and then after engine refresh at Minister, I "found" (I said yes to all upgrades) I had one bolted on, so now I have a small hole, I've been putting oil in via the cam cover oil filler hole. Obviously I can't see the mentioned place when doing this, wondering if using a torch I might be able to see it.

I still want to know how long it takes to move the oil into the swirl tank (?) from the sump by running the engine? I have been faithfully running the engine to 70 degrees c like it says in the instructions, then half the time I can't get the cap off without some engineering (a very light tap).

Anthony, your average gypsy.

Edited by - anthonym on 23 Aug 2006 13:42:07

I have the small ~12mm hole/cap in the top of my swirl tank. I remove this to check the oil level using the dip rod (~11 inches from the bottom is where the oil level has settled on mine). The swirl tank also has the bigger cap with 6 bolts that Dave J describes - I find that if I pull the breather pipe out of the catch tank, the whole larger cap just unscrews - no need to remove the 6 bolts, and is very easy to pour the oil into (the standard oil filler cap on the cam cover is so tight I've never been able to undo it!)

Dave

I never thought to try unscrewing it... my standard cam cover oil filler cap has a kind of built in torque setting, so it clicks when tight enough (well, I assume that means it's tight enough). No problems there, come to think of it I seem to recall I changed it from the original for some reason.. maybe as I had it lying around and the same idea worked on my BDR, but admit very hazy memory (I suppose I shuold be grateful I have one at all), it might be a Ford oil cap .. on my Vauxhall engine *biggrin*

I am wary of undoing the bigger (bolted) cap from when I had oil all over everywhere including me in the cockpit. I failed to do it tight enough and it came off, somewhere in deepest France.. entertained the locals as I de-oiled everything in a supermarket carpark.

Edited by - anthonym on 23 Aug 2006 13:48:53