Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1600ss K stopped running and now won't start - any ideas

Andy Best

Went out for a blat today got 3 miles and it died ☹️.

Taking it easy warming the car up then I had a total loss of power. The car will crank but won't start, the pump primes the ecu and sensors all come into life. All electrics seem fine, I have checked all the fuses and relays and all are OK, so what should I check next?

btw the car has not run that well since LeMans it was hesitating when putting my foot down between 2-3000 rpm don't know if this is connected and now whatever was fault has finally died.

Any help pointers/tests I should carry gratefully received.

Was hoping to go to Curborough next weekend but need to get the car going first!

Andy

• Leadership Team

And the relays than can work there way loose *eek*

Andy - make sure you check for a spark and for fuelling, after that it's how it's set up and whether anything has slipped/faulted/broke etc. Check also you have good connections on the LT side of the ignition system?

Stu.

• Area Representative

Andy

Sorry to hear you are having a problem. Can't think of any things not already suggested, but if you need to borrow any bits off my car, just let me know.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Crank position sensor is my guess. Had the same problem when mine fell out during a trackday. Once I found the problem it was solved in a minute as the bolt was still sat between the sensor and the block. No how lucky was that 😬.

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Thanks for your replies I've now checked the following

The fuses and relays - all OK

Inertia switch is not tripped

The engine is fuelling - pump priming & spark plugs damp with fuel

Crank sensor in place connected and looks OK - I don't know how to test!

The spark plugs are not sparking

The primary of the coil is getting 12v

All remaining wires look sound no obvious breaks or trapping etc

All sensors are clean and dry and connected

Second ECU (emerald) gives same results

What and how can I now check and how

My guess is it is something that controls the spark generation or the coil, I don't know how to test the coil and I don't know what controls the spark on these electronic ignition cars.

The setup is a EU2 1600ss K with Rover Plenum, distributor, single coil, mems ecu and mfu.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Andy

Have you tried resetting the immobiliser? 4 or 5 presses on the same button on the fob should do it. Doesn't matter which button. You should hear a click or three when it resets.

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Is the coil getting 12v - 0v - 12v as you crank the engine? (Test with a multimeter or a bulb with wires soldered on.) This works with a contact breaker system so I assume it's the same for EU2

I think the Emerald has an LED that lights when it thinks the engine is turning over - that tests your CPS.

Take the distributor cap off - is the rotor arm going round (or has your cam belt snapped *eek*).

Some time aog I had exactly the same problem. It was the crank sensor. Disconnect the sensor and remove it, its held in by one bolt.

In the centre of the sensor there is ( or should be) a carbon pole which should be about half inch long

This reads the teeeth on the flywheel. Mine had worn down to less than a centimetre and when the flywheel rotated the sensor could not read the revolutions. New sensor fixed it straight away.

If its an emerald ecu make sure the battery voltage is high enough. If it drops too low the ecu won`t fir the injectors and coils..........hence you get cranking, fuel pump etc but it won`t start.

Last tiome it happened us was when we swapped a mems over to emerald, started fine on the memes, unplugged mems, connected emerald and it wouldn`t start.........a quick boost of the battery and away it went.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here