Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil PRESSURE DROP

Alan and Daisy

As previously mentioned in Chit Chat my oil pressure suddenly went down today, the engine is running fine and I can see oil up in the can cover so is it the gauge or the sender? Do I need to change both and see if they are faulty (one at a time of course) or could it be the pump, the car has done 29,000 road miles 1.8 K series 140bhp. 🤔

Mature enthusiast Black with Silver stripe 1.8K super sport.

Fitted the new sensor today, great service from Caterham sales again, started the engine and saw an immediate rise in the oil pressure, so took it down the road for a quick check and then after a while the pressure dropped again. This foam thing that Myles mentioned I pressume is the foam fitted in the sump, could this be the problem where it is breaking up and causing blockages? *confused*

That is the foam yes. There's full instructions on Myles' website on how to get the foam out, I'm hopeless with mechanical stuff and still managed to follow.

Basically you'll need 6mm hex drives or allen keys to get the sump off, and I think a 6mm socket to drop the windage plate and oil pickup pipe from the bottom of the crank. Plus a 32mm open ended spanner and a 10mm hex drive if you've got an apollo tank.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here - UPDATED

On mine the pickup pipe bolts need a 6mm socket and the ali tray securing bolts a 10mm socket. On re-fitting, the extended LH edge of the gasket has to slide into the small gap above the ali tray which means you have to get the gasket in place before offering the sump up.

Colin

Having read all the threads about sump foam it could be that I have just changed the oil and maybe the new oil was not compatible with the foam or it could be coinsidence. Either way the sumps coming off, a new gasket with the holes drilled in it will be fitted but no foam.

Alan *thumbup*

As Rob suggests, no need to buy a new gasket but do remove the foam.

Make a point of removing the oil pickup pipe to ensure its mesh filter is completely free of Chinese sea weed. If your oil is newish, no need to replace it, though a new filter might make sense.

Should, most unlikely, you need a new oil pump, they are only around £60 and failry simple to replace.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

The pressure drop may be quite normal, as the oil has got up to tempearture.

How long does it take for the pressure drop to occur? About 15 minutes?

If so,mine does exactly the same, and with 50,000 miles on my K series, I don't think it is a problem.

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

The pressure drop was within 2-3 minutes of starting and it dropped to the red line, I read that these foam baffles are supposed to be replaced every 12,000 miles so mine is well overdue, my car has done 29,000 now.

Alan

In that case, I would definitely take the foam, or what is left of it, out.

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.