Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

sewing / custom tonneaus and covers

Jam Mad

a few months ago, there was a company in lf, and mentioned in this hallowed forum, that sewed up tonneaus and boot covers to order.. more cheaply than caterham did them.

i don't have my back issues of lf, can someone point me in their direction please ?

cheers,

j

Jam,

Try Jill Judd at Cover Up 01798 813389.

JJ has just made some half doors for my 7, £70 inc P&P, and I'm very pleased with them. They have simply been made out of tonneau material and a 'slot' was made in the top for me to insert a length of plastic conduit to add extra support.

They don't have the 'elbow bulge' like the Caterham ones but they are considerably cheaper. I believe Caterham charge £90 plus VAT per half door!

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif ...well it only sounds fast officer blush.gif

Back in the mid '80's when I had my first Lotus 7, it had no tonneau, [or hood] so all I did was to find my local auto upholsterer and get him to make up a tonneau directly on the car.

From memory he had the car in his workshop for a couple of days and although I can't remember the cost it wasn't too outragous, and cheaper than Caterham,

In addition, I had an extra zip incorporated down the offside so that I could use part of the tonneau as a half height drivers door, when used with an aero screen, which seems so fashionalble now. I had that cover made up as a one peice unit, as I couldn't see the point of a seperate boot cover, just something else to leak. When either half was in use, I rolled it up and had a little strap to secure the roll behind the drivers head so that it acted as a headrest [bench seats with no built in headrest remember] and protection from the backdraft.