Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

dry sump oil change

thinfourth

boggo standard k series caterham dry sump with the dreaded blue plate

Fitted a new sump pan recently after all the letters went missing and the new one has a lovely drain plug in it.

Took it out and got a splash of oil out of it

Doesn't empty the tank does it 🙆🏻

The happy handle made me do it

here

Richard,

at the bottom of the K series dry sump bell housing there is a blue plate (about a couple of inches square) held on by 4 machine screws. This closes the bottom of the tank - the idea is that you remove said plate to drain the tank. Bit messy to use, and potentially difficult to reseal

Alternatives are:

- replace with the Hellier drain plate or make up an equivalent

- buy an oil extractor to suck the oil out of the tank through the top

I did the latter - no mess, quick and importantly no need to disturb the plate.

Dave

• 8 months later...

I know this in an old thread but it's very relevant to me at the moment...

Looking at Hellier's site their bottom plate has a part which seems to intrude about 15mm upwards into the bell tank.

Surely that means you leave the last 15mm of oil in every time and can never fully drain it?

• Leadership Team

Yes, but it's actually a very close fit to the hole on the bottom of the tank so the first 5mm or so is irrelevent. I think the actual dimensions leave very little protruding, probably 5mm to replace the blue plate, 6mm inserted into the belltank. In practice I think you'll find there's very little oil left.

Stu.

I've always taken the blue plate off, you can then check the gauze filter on the feed pipe as well. To reseal I've made a template for a gasket which I smear with Loctite 574. Never had a single drip in 3yrs/ 15k.

Phil S7SVN

The Hellier plate really does make the job easier - its a magnetic plug, with a nice coarse thread on the sump nut so it doesnt leak until it completely falls out. Its a bit pricey for what it is, but I thought Id treat my engine - and make my life easier!

I remove the oil hoses and jack the other side of the car up, then wander off for a cup of tea. I have in the past removed the blue plate but I find there is only a splash of oil remaining if you drain via the hose so on the basis that I change the oil very regularly anyway and it's always clean I reckon this is OK. Any engine contains an amount of oil after a change anyway, you don't need to get every last dribble out.

My old oil used to find its way into The Scab, an old Volvo that gradually burnt it off at a rate of 1 litre per 1000 miles. Towards the end I applied CSTR theory and just chucked clean(ish) oil in the top without mishap. *rolleyes* Look, it was a ratty Volvo. Mobil 1 was too good for it, even after 5k miles.

• Leadership Team

It does, but surely anything that accumalates in the bottom of the belltank should normally be removed during an oil change - even if only once in a while by removing the blue plate rather than via the gauze filter. Just a thought to be considered?

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

I wonder about the 'jam' that ends up inside the engine when you use anaerobic sealant. There was rather a lot of it when I took the sump off again yesterday evening, and as it doesn't harden, I suppose it just gets carried around in the oil, which doesn't seem a very good idea to me..... *confused*

Apparently the Rover gaskets are re-useable many times, and don't need anything else to seal properly, which means no jam in the oilways...... *idea*

I'm taking off the cam cover again today to remove all traces of sealant.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 2 May 2007 13:01:35

Stu, you are right. On the last occasion though I didn't remove the blue plate and did as stated. The time before was the full blue plate off (there was no gunge in the tank) and remaking a brown paper gasket.

It's probably worthwhile doing it 1 in 2 times or whatever you feel comfortable with. Sometimes I enjoy making a gasket, sometimes I can't be bothered... *smile*