Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BGH Geartech or SPC?

Englishmaninwales

I had my type 9 ratios converted by BGH. Did a first rate job. It made a big difference to the speed of the car .

Brial Hills is an odd sort of chap who can seem a bit abrupt at times. Dont know the others but a *thumbup* from me on BGH.

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬 here

Think after a recent thread on here re flywheels by me that I would seriously consider SPC. BGH are a good company but there does seem to be a fair bit of problems with their boxes. They alway try and help but it is the inconvience of it all.

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

• Area Representative

Paul F,

Which set of ratios did you choose?

I'm sure Malcolm would like a test drive to compare the difference, but it's important to know which set of ratios you have when BGH offer various options.

• Leadership Team

Maybe this is a rare case of "they're both good companies to deal with!" I can only talk of BGH who were one of the rare companies to deal with who exceeded my expectations in terms of product & delivery when they rebuilt my box last year, and the bill was much lower than I'd expected.

It looks like which ever way you go, you'll be looked after *smile*

Michael.

BGH did mine. I did look at SPC briefly (they were only 5 miles away rather than 170-odd) - but aside from increased expense, the range and flexibility of ratios was not as good.

Someone (can't remember who - so take this with a pinch of salt - think it was from experience though) suggested that SPC were more interested in more exciting projects - and the turnaround time etc. wasn't spectacular.

The recent 'noise factor' in terms of people reporting BGH problems might be misleading - there seem to be many-more BGHs in circulation in the club than SPCs.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

"Someone (can't remember who - so take this with a pinch of salt - think it was from experience though) suggested that SPC were more interested in more exciting projects - and the turnaround time etc. wasn't spectacular."

Steve built mine one-armed *eek* (he'd just broken the other trying to catch a box which fell off the bench) the week before Xmas with a week's notice *thumbup*. I went over the road to the pub for an hour while he finished it *tongue*

Paul

I have no experience of SPC.

Malcolm, if you just want a rebuild then Road & Race near Tunbridge.

If you want different ratios then BGH have gear sets made by a firm in Coventry and have ratios for all the engine/uses you can think off.

Brian and Chris are a bit different but they know their trade.

As I said I can't comment on SPC but that doesn't mean their not good.

As usual, I bet you're more confused than when you started.

Check with you local Ford dealer. Its a type 9 box, they may overhaul and fit new bearings and synchro rings for not a lot.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

I don't have an SPC gearbox but Steve Perks did do a grand job on the 'English' axle in my last car from which I would recommend him as, from talking to him at great length, he certainly knows his stuff. I do believe everybody who has had one is very pleased with his semi helical 'box. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Brent

The SPC semi helical is a great box and would have been my first choice but I was trying to reduce my spend on the car a bit. I seem to remember that there can be a longer leadtime on the semi helical as they only manufacture so many kits at a time. Things may have changed and Steve Perks is always happy to talk.........

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

WHOOOO!!! before you start chasing about with SPC on their S/H/C/R kit... I would ask about availability.... I choose BGH because SPC couldn't supply at any length of period.... talk to Steve 1st

SV 2.3 Duratec and for the last time, no it is not a truck

I have an SPC semi helical in a 190 zetec and its just fine. No issues with SPC or their delivery. The box is noisier than the std box though so if you do great distances it might be worth reconsidering. If you don't mind that (& I don't) its been the best investment in the car 'performance per pound' wise.

I would recommend that you close off the speedo drive though and run a bike speedo instead (I didn't but it still leaks there because of it). I think it's a design thing. Brent I think Steve Foster runs another SPC box.

It's also worth noting that there strong and weak gear lever detent springs available, I'd make sure I got the strong one as your gears pop out otherwise, fairly easy to fix in situ but no need if you remember it when specifying.