Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Pagid/Alcon question

caterhamnut

From what I understand the Alcon 4 pots take the same size pads as the CC AP 4 pots. Part numbers as given to me by Stijn:

Paged Brakes for Alcon 4 pot & standard rear:

Front: U1749-RS15: Pad Race AP CP2340 043 16mm

Rear: U1163-RS14 : Pad Race WVA20981 Cosworth

Rs15's just arrived for the front - will fit them tomorrow and report back!

One thing to note - the swept area of the Alcon brakes is slightly greater than that of the AP - the pads I have seem to be the 'smaller' swept area, so hope they are the right ones (possibly the same as the AP ones?) - by that I mean that the current greenstuff pads cover the disc right to the edge - thse will sit inboard by a 2-3mm by the looks of it.

Currently I am leaving the 1177 mintex in the back - I'll see how these go - if they lock up I'll reduce the spec down to 1155 or 1144....

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

96,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

Right - having fixed the rear brakes I have now been able to fit the pagids. Only been for a brief spin to run through the bedding in process.

WOW - hugely improved - nice bite (from cold!) and instant stopping power. Had to adjust seat belt halfway through test to stop movement! Rear locked briefly at slow speed, but may be crap tyres - I'll see what they are like with the new 48's on Monday - otherwise the 1177 need to come out of the rear calipers.

So - are a set of RS15's worth £136 (incl. VAT and delivery 😳!) - well, if they last, then yes. More feedback as I get it.....

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

96,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

• 6 months later...

Nigel

My RS14s were fitted by caterham in 2000, 6 years and 27,000 miles later they're still going strong. so 23 quid a year seems a fair price to me. I use green stuff on the rears and this gives a nice balance.

Angus, you'll never look back, just watch out for people rear ending you in Veyrons 😬 *rolleyes*

Roy.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

DVA 1.8K R345

Whilst I appreciate the commentary that people are happy with their pagids I'd still like to hear quite how they are (with Alcon front, standard rear) to drive. Are they squeaky, do they change from hot to cold, do they grab, snatch, are they easier, harder to modulate etc.

I've little doubt that they're the business when on track I suppose it's road use that is in any way in question. The combination of SP15 front and 14 rear is th nost likely combo I'd buy. Just bought some 4-2-1s for my beemer and will fit them tomorrow so that'll be my first taste but I can't really compare that to the 7.

Still holding out for Angus and Tessa...

Nigel Mills - My next car must have xenons

Hi Nigel - see my comments on bottom of previous page *smile*

Ok - so after 6 month sor so, how are the doing?

*thumbup* *thumbup* - put it this way - when driving 'normaly' I don't know they are there - press on a bit (or on track) and they do everything that people suggest.

By 'not knowing they are there' I mean that we have had no issues with stopping in the cold, or squeeking. I get the odd 'chirp' everynow and again, but nothing excessive or even really noticable to be honest. I'll have a check tomorrow am and see how much 'wear' we have had, but I doubt it is much.

MUCH better feel than the Green Stuff we had before (that came with the Alcons)

They have a nice feel in that they act as 'normal' pads at 'normal' driving, but just add that little bit of extra pressure and the bit ekicks in - in our experiance, nice and smoothly - no snatching of wheels or anything.

I really need to change my rear pads, which are 1177's and are a bit aggressive BUT I ahev actually got used to that and have taken to using that extra lock on the back to turning me into corners a bit, loosening the rear grip then turning in and catching whatever happens (on 'hooning' type days that is!!)

I found the green stuff I had to be not very predictible - quite a few times I would be braking steadliy and actually find that I suddenly had to increase brake pedal pressure quite a bit in order to stop/slow down as I wanted. Ths 'gap' between 'gentle' and 'hard' braking seemed to increase when the pads got hot.

So far I think the Pagids are far far more predictable and consistant.

So - are they worth the price - in short, yes. I'l stick to these from now on, and play around a little with the rears to match - probably end up with 1144's on the rear, or 'standard' maybe (although these always seemed to wear away quickly)

I would highly recommend them Nigel - looking forward to giving them a good work out this year and doing a few more track days than last.

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

98,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car