Click here if you are having website access problems ×

exhaust manifold insulating wrap.

agbucks

in an attempt to protect my starter motor from high temperatures, i have purchased some exhaust insulating wrap.

what is the best way to secure to the manifold? options seem to be stainless cable ties (as used on cv joint rubber boot), ss locking wire or the stainless 'snap strap' from demon tweeks/burton etc.

anyone any experience?

It can help in reducing underbonet temperatures significantly , especially if you race or sprint where the underbonnet temp can rise to up and above 40c whilst you are forming up on the grid , and take more than 3mins at 60mph to fall to within 10c of ambient - this is not good news for power .

Plus some will say that the wrap increases the temp of the manifold and speed of gas exiting ( ??? ) , however some will also argue that the heat retained within the manifold will then pass into the head .

I run wrap to reduce underbonnet temps , protect the alternater and starter motor .

Dave

Edited by - Dave J on 21 Feb 2002 17:13:13

I've heard much the same as Locust - I considered it when I had my manifold made but was advised (by the chap who would have sold and fitted the wrap) that unless you really needed that extra (debatable) bit of power the life shortening effects on the manifold made it not worthwhile.

I used Jubilee clips on each end of all four tubes, then the lagged tubes were then sprayed with heat "reflective" paint.

I have recently removed the exhaust after being in situ for two years and they still look fine, though this time, when the engine goes back in, I will add a further wrap, this time embrasing all four pipes in a all enveloping "thermal shield". Ignoring any tuning advantage, the reduction of heat within the engine bay more than justifies the cost of the material.

Though your first drive after insulation can be amusing when other motorists, at traffic lights, start to notice the clouds of smoke creeping out of the bonnet vents as the paint cooks - but in a few miles even the smell has gone.

JH