Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery charging voltage?

I.Mupferit

Can anybody please confirm what this should be, read at the battery terminals (engine running of course). Does 13.4v sound a tad on low side? I seem to recall that 14.1v or so was roughly about right.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 14 Aug 2006 16:02:03

• Support Team

Knackered battery or knackered alternator. What's the battery voltage with the engine off? Probably best to find one of Chris W's posts on the matter - aah found one for you.

A fully charged battery should show 12.6v (2.1v per cell) for a lead acid type. It may show higher than this for a few minutes after charging due to the electrolyte's not being mixed properly.

Switch on the headlights for 5 minutes and then re-measure; you should find 12.6v. With the engine ON the figure should be around 13.8v to 14.5v depending on the actual alternator and regulator.

Have someone crank the engine having disconnected the fuel pump (at the fuel cut-off switch for simplicity) to prevent the engine's starting. Measure the battery voltage whilst cranking. If it's below 9v, the battery needs replacing.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

It does read 12.6v I think with the engine not running and it is only 18 months old and always on a battery conditioner so I guess that is ok which leaves the alternator as prime suspect. ☹️ I think I'll keep running it as is and see what happens.

Brent

R 417.39 😬

Forgot to say.............errmmm, could accidentally and very briefly, touching a spanner between live terminal and earth damage the alternator 🤔 *confused*

It was only very briefly as I picked up a spanner to hang it up on the rack having just finished the engine install and finally connected the earth lead before cranking the engine. I leaned over from the drivers side to pick up a couple of spanners and one swung down to touch the live terminal as the other one briefly clipped the fuel rail as I straightened up. ☹️ The resulting arc was very brief in duration as I obviously reacted to the sudden spark.

Brent

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 14 Aug 2006 17:16:30

If you mean you shorted the battery +ve to the block, that is more likely to do for the battery than the alternator. Or have I misundersood?

I'd try borrowing a battery first and see if you get a better reading that way.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here - UPDATED

Brent

Just a thought......as you recently refitted the engine, do you have a seperate earth for the alternator (do Raceling rubber mount the alternator on the Duratec) - and if you do - is it connected OK?

As for shorting out the battery, I'd have thought it would be highly unlikely that it would have damaged the alternator. Especially if the engine was not running at the time.

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

The difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know, and I couldn't care less!

I have to say that it hasn't manifested itself as a problem as such. It's just that while I was carrying out a few checks after starting the engine, it just seemed to me that the charging voltage was lower than it used to be...............and then the paranoia kicked in as I thought about the battery briefly shorting to earth. 😳

The alternator earth wire is definitely connected. That went on before the engine was lowered in place on Friday.

Brent

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 15 Aug 2006 09:58:26