Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Not wishing to start anargument ,but..........

Gambo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year being my first full season after dipping my toe in the water for the previous three years, I have to say I have really enjoyed it! After reading all your comments my contribution would be when there are only 100-ish regular entrants why dilute any of the classes? It has taken me five years of competing in Class 3 to reach what I feel is close to my optimum performance in my car. I feel I wouldn't have been able to achieve this without experiencing the grip that acb10 a24 compound tyres gave me. These tyres gave me the confidence on track to push my car and myself to limits beyond that of other tyres. Without this choice in our class structure I feel other up and coming competitors would suffer to their detriment.

These events are staged for club members primarily to get together and have a great day's fun and sport in their cars and in the paddocks. All I saw at MIRA were smiling faces and heard a lot of sporting banter! This is how it is meant to be surely?

There will only ever be one winner in any class on any day. This will be the man or woman who races in a class of their choice to the best of their ability. Ability, I think, being the main criteria. Dave Jackson I think proved this at Pembrey in a shared car!

To me it is all about having the choice to select a class to race in and the type of tyre you wish to race on. By restricting the use of acb10s I think we would be restricting drivers to show their ability.

With regard to dropping numbers at sprints I feel sure a lot of members are under-informed as to what goes on, how much it costs, how much of a clique there is with existing competitors, and even how to go about it (crazy as that may seem). Attending my new local meet this month had a discussion with 3 of the local guys who go and watch sprints and seem keen to compete but knew nothing about how to go about it. So, is marketing our problem?

Crossply/radial set up?

I use my car for sprints, general blatting and touring (Corsica in 3 weeks time *cool*) All I change is damper settings; for sprints I use acb10s, for road use yoko 048rs. The car seems to perform pretty well on both! Mine being a classic chassis, trunion front suspension, live rear axle. Doesn't leave a lot of room for adjustment anyway!

Do the likes of Mr Jackson have to change De dion ears to go onto yokos when going to Le Mans and the like?

Alex, you say there is no fun in going slow, surely you are not going slow, you'll be going as fast as the tyres on your car will allow you to go? If they happen to be 048rs that you use on the road I feel sure you will still have a great day's sport at Curborough, lots of other people do in class 4 with less sticky tyres and up to 240bhp!

I think I have gone on a bit...!

I like it the way it is! *thumbup* *thumbup*

Robin

Yellow and Carbon cycle wings dodging the horses in the New Forest

Edited by - Clawhammer on 12 Aug 2006 08:36:50

do the likes of Mr Jackson have to change De dion ears to go onto yokos when going to Le Mans and the like?

no I put up with a comprimised setup. lack of front camber = understeer . Its OK on the road as you never push to the limits of the tyres, but the car feels horrid on a trackday with no camber and 48R's/ 32R's.

Dave

here is C7 TOP

South Wales AO *thumbup*

I attended my first sprint recently (not a club-sprint, unfortunately). I was the only Caterham in a field of Westie 2-litres. Have no idea what spec they were running, but they were (almost) all championship entries.

Just missed 3rd in class by .2 secs (in 90...) out of 7 or so cars.

Do I give a stuff about what they were running (one had a Swindon engine, I believe - and was 3-4 seconds quicker than anyone else).

Nope - my target was a more experienced driver in a lower class (pipped him, against expectations). I think that's the key for me - I've got more power but less experience than a friendly co-competitor. He'd done the circuit before, I hadn't sprinted competitively at all.

Both had big-grins at the end of the day. I'm resigned to the fact that the class I will always be in will always be open to the cheque-book approach - and I'll still take pleasure on scalping them where possible *smile*

My children...