Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Numpty Seat Fitting Question

Mark Adderley

Hi

Just bought some second-hand s-type seats to replace my old ones (in a 94 car).

The ali seat runners arrived from CC today, but I can't work out which way round they are supposed to go *confused*

I assume they sit in the car and the seats drop into them, but the width is the same for all 4 runners - leaving no room for the seat adjuster to move. I hope this makes sense!

Should all 4 runners be the same width??

Assuming I get past that hurdle - do I need to rivet the runners in place, or is it sufficient to just use the bolts throught the seats?

Advice/photos very welcome!

Cheers

Mark

1400 SS - 46k and counting......

• Area Representative

When you say 'ali seat runners' - I think you mean 4 pieces of ali folded to form channels about 15 inches by 1.5 inches (approx.). If this is the case they are stiffeners for the floor and fit under the floor and are rivetted to hold them in place. The seats then fit onto the floor with holes drilled through the floor (and stiffeners). You really could do with looking at a later car to measure where they fit.

If you are stuck, I can probably take some pictures. which may help.

Incidentally, I suggest you use cap head or dome head bolts to secure the seats. It is much easier to use an allen key, as the bolts are in the seat runners. Suggest you'll also need some large plain washers to fit on the bolts under the car before you fit new nylock nuts.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Edited by - Paul Richards on 9 Aug 2006 20:30:34

Paul, Cageyh

Thanks for the info - hadn't assumed they fitted under the car! Guess I'll be needing a rivet gun after all!

Paul - if there is any chance of you sending a photo of your car? Being a bear of small brain, it'll probably make everything seem wonderfully clear!

Thanks both *thumbup*

Mark

1400 SS - 46k and counting......

Mark,

I'g go one further than Pauls suggestion of caphead / dome head bolts - I use "T" headed bolts which sit right down into the seat runner and basically become captive. You don't need access to the top of them at all to tighten them up. Everything done from under the car,

Dave