Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil and Water 2 simple questions

DDubya

Had a good look round techtalk and have 2 questions.

A) 1.6 K superlight just booked in for service, so what oil recommended?

B) Have noticed a few threads on subject of water temperatures for K series. Mine runs around 87 Deg C normal and creeps to 95-97 when stuck in traffic, hot day etc. This seems far hotter than others. Fan cuts in no problems, I have a Stack dash so is it a calibration/sender problem? If this is higher than that experienced or recommended then should I get a colder stat and fit when being serviced.

Danny

DDubya

Superlight C7 DNW

Oil is like religion. There is only one true one and if I disagree with your favourite then I will kill you, eat your babies and burn your house down. *eek*

The difficulty is deciding which one. I recommend a 15/40 fully synth, or 5/40Mobil 1, or a 10/40 synth, Halfords can be good, as is Comma or any of the others. TBH they are all OK, though it's important to go somewhere where the place is clean, so a big manufacturer is handy.

Water sounds normal.

Cue huge discussion on why one brand is better than another... ☹️ *confused*

• Support Team

Your temperatures sound perfectly normal. I also have a Stack dash and get the same readings. My understanding is that the standard Caterham gauges are heavily damped and the sensors not that accurate so they don't get the fluctuations. The Stack sender is a better quality item and the display is instant.

As for oil well... 😬

(I have just put the Halfords motorsport 5W50 in mine but if you want the best then Mobil 1 or Silkolene Pro seem to come highly recommended, if a little expensive).

Yellow SL *cool* #32

For water temperature, by far the most reliable item in the cooling system is the fan thermostat. If your fan is cutting in and going out at the correct places then just assume you are getting high readings frm the sender and not high temperatures.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine