Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yoko 48R vs 32R tramlining

Jason Plato

I was running Yoko 48R's on the front. I also fitted new Nitron dampers.

Then the front 48R's wore out and I fitted a set of 32R's on the front .

I have noticed a dramatic reduction in tramlining with the 32R's.

With the 48R's the car wanted to dive all over the road, I had suspected the tracking or such like but now with the 32R's on it feels very stable again .

anyone else noticed a difference from 32R's > 48R's 🤔

Dave

It's impossible to do a direct comparison but certainly my old 7 was very stable on 32R's while my present mount, on 48R's, darts all over the place at the merest hint of a white line on the road.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

I went from A048's to CR500's and my tramlining vanished.

I am not actually looking forwards to putting the 48's back on!

May just keep them for the track.

The handling has been transformed, so I am glad it just wasn't me,

Out of interest, do the Toyo Proxes R888's tram line badly?

• Support Team

Went from 21s to 48s and had serious issues with tramlining to the point where we had to use a bit of toe in to get the car useable on the roads. Switched then to CR500s and the problem went away.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Now what you lot need is a good iron block VX up front. 😬 😬 *tongue* I do not seem to have any tramlining problems with my car, well no worse than the 032's. Set up is 0.5 degree toe out , 2.5 degree negative camber. Must be that the tyres can not pull my anchor around. *tongue* Maybe I could get away with acb 10 on the road

RED 2.0 HPC

Would adjusting the rack to improve bump steer have any effect 🤔 Because I did that at the same time as changing to 048's. Like I said my car is no worse than it was, but that is not tosay it's that good, so is it possible that the improvement in bumpsteer is counteracting the increase from the tyres *confused* 🤔

RED 2.0 HPC

YEP

Can I have the 32's back 😬 *wink*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Dave,

As you know I recently went from 32`s to 48`s and yes I have noticed that the car has become more unstable and tramlines more. I put it down to the stiffer side walls which have also contributed to the poorer ride quality. In short I do not like the 48`s very much and will fit some more 32`s when the 48`s are done.

Rob

To expand. Narrow track: went from 32's on 14" to 48's on 13"; 2 deg negative camber & parallel tracking. Didn't really notice any difference in tramlining. Now same 48's on wide track are noticeably more "active". Checked tracking & reduced toe-out to parallel & it's better behaved. So the question is: is this a function of the wide track or a function of the tyre?

In my case definately the tyre as nothing else has changed. I can tame the car a little by running lower tyre pressures 15 psi and softening off my damping but this is very much a compromise as the car is too soft in the corners for my tastes. I presume that the 48`s are designed for a heavier car and that we are stuck with that. On track the stiff side walls are not so much of a problem.

Hi Dave

Well my reply was a bit *tongue* in 🙆🏻

I did notice it till I had the tracking done and sorted the Camber on one side.

Still its now just the same as the 32's use to be so that rather means it is a little more. *confused*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

tramlining is when the car darts and chases undulations and white lines across the road . The car will feel nervous and will wander across the road 🙆🏻 *thumbdown*

remember when we went for blats earlier in the year and Red Dave said how my car was "all over the place" well I do think that was as a result of the 48 R's . Having now fitted 32R's to the fronts , the car is fantastic again and I can realy push on - as you have seen 😬

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 11 Aug 2006 14:43:09

No

Tramlining is when you shut off the seed drill coulters behind the tractor wheels every so many drilling bouts so that you leave two undrilled rows for the tractor/sprayer wheels to run in when the crop has emerged.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬