Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Throttle Cable attachment to pedal

Quenton Fyfe

Hi

Replacing broken throttle cable on 1.6 VX. The throttle pedal has an "open top" which has been opened up in the past. There's also a hole in the front of the pedal top which seems to have no use.

I'm guessing I need to push the nipple on the end of the cable down into the open end of the throttle, and then bend sides of the pedal together to hold it. But should this grip the nipple (ooh err etc *eek*), or the cable? I'll need to open it up more to get the nipple in, and then bend it shut - any idea of the best tools for this - pliars aren't making much impression.

I don't want it to snap again sooner than necessary - and the proximity of the jagged metal of the pedal to the cable isn't filling me with confidence. It all seems a bit heath-robinson to be honest - is that why Caterhams snap throttle cables so often?

Any tips on exactly how it should look when fitted, along with how to achieve it, would be most welcome.

I have Jenveys - and it's a bugger to grip the cable at the TB end (very fiddly if you are trying to get the cable through a drilled-bolt and then do up the nuts to clamp the cable - all while holding the throttle open to get access to the bolt...

Anyway, sick of all that, I swapped the cable around so that the fixed-nipple is at the tb end and the drilled-bolt is at the pedal end. The cable (bike gear or brake cable) passes through the slot in the pedal, through the corresponding hole at the back and is then clamped by my bolt.

Easy to get to and easy to adjust.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com