Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Class numbers

Mrs Kipper

We are coming up to Curboro in a couple of weeks, the venue where we get our main spectator participation from the rest of the Club. For many that come along it may be their first time at a sprint event and they will probably be confused by the class structure and which car is running in which class. (Before anyone else says it - many of the competitors are confused as well *eek*)

Would it be a good idea to have a Class Number on each car to show which class it is running in? This would have to be something on the lines of a small 1, 2, 3 etc next to the main competition number.

The next question is where you would source the numbers from and I don't really have any idea. Maybe somewhere like Homebase or Wickes sells small adhesive numbers or maybe a Blatchatter in the trade knows somewhere that supplies them. They would need to be available in black and white to show as a contrast colour on the car.

And for next year, perhaps we could get stickers made up as, say, a small white roundel with a black number to go along with the championship stickers?

What do you think?

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

I was going to do that sort of numbering system for lLANDOW THIS YEAR. The only problem comes with double drive if you have over 10 in a class e.g 101,102-110 how do you double drive I thought, no problem, 171, 172 ect, but not easy to cover a zero with a seven if you see what I mean. so I liked to idea my self, But abandoned it cause the double drives messed it up. ☹️

RED 2.0 HPC

a nice little round sticker say 3" with Class (round the outside) and 3 (in the middle) printed on it would do the job *thumbup*

There was a club member up north who owned a sticker making shop - I had some stickers made for Llandow sprint a few years back - cheap too *thumbup*

Listening to the confused commentators at Loton, I think it would be a good idea for all events *thumbup*

It helped at Loton that we were running in class order. If that had not been the case, the commentators would have had real trouble, especially as the cars were being despatched up the hill so quickly they could hardly keep up *smile*

Mrs K

I think we need to be careful with placing any additional numbers on the car as this could cause problems with the time keepers and we have already had one event this year where there was some confusion.

To help the commentators understand the difference in classes etc one of our more 'mature' competitors is working on a commentary sheet that will be a template that we can update for each event. In addition it will include information such as class records, leading drivers for each class and may be a few humorous anecdotes 😬 added by me *wink*

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Matt

That looks great but I was thinking of something a little more basic that could be read by a spectator at a distance and speed.

One to go forward for the agenda at the end of the year discussion.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

I think it is a great idea... if we can get something that will work at all sprints.

I would be nice to id the female drivers (hard to tell once the skid-lids are on!) and novices as well (big dunce hat sticker???) BUT that would probably start to be toooo complicated. Keeping with Mrs Kipper's thought of making it easy for spectactors to read, the simpler the better!