Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Quality?

Ian Barkley

What differentiates a quality build? Is there a difference between the home built and the factory product?

I will be starting a kit shortly, what tips do you have, apart from liberal use of copperslip and a dedicated following of the manual, for someone with modest mechanical skills to make a high quality and long lasting result.

Thanks

Ian B

Well with a home build you define the level of quality of the build, with a caterham build you get their level of quality. So I guess it is up to you. All the factory built cars I have seen have looked good, but I have seen some home builds that are way better, and some that aren't.

As for tips, from experience as I was in the same boat as you 8 months back.

1. read the manual, and also read ahead, and re -read it

2. engage brain and common sense module, something I didn't always do, which lead to various bits being taken back off/replaced.

3. get some local mates who can help

rob

I've wondered about this as well. I came to the conclusion that a good build avoided potential problems like coolant hoses touching hotter metal oil hose fittings (cause of loss of coolant at Brands), Brake hoses rubbing on half shafts, rear anti roll bar mountings fitted upside down (causing distortion of mounting points). I've found these problems whilst rebuilding my car. The routing of wires and hoses is one issue where a good build looks neater and avoids potential problems. The setup of suspension is another. Obviously avoiding silly mistakes like missing washers (caused an a-frame bush failure on my car at Snetterton) and those listed above.

Another one - Fuel pump power supply shorted out due to insulation wearing at a point where it turned a corner around a chassis tube - fixed with a sock before the Curborough Sprint!

All of these problems were avoidable and most were due to me not thinking various mods through fully. However, it also applies for a new car. There are many traps to fall in. Definitely think ahead when building the car and keep an eye on it, even after the post build check. Potential problems can occur later. The answer for me is to keep a close eye on any non standard tweeks, as well as the basic mechanical state of the car as unforseen problems do arise from time to time, especially in a car used as hard and frequently as mine.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 19 Feb 2002 11:11:43

All bar one of the problems I listed were due to changes I had made after CCC's original build. The brake hose problem was nothing to do with me - nothing CCC had done wrong either from what I could see - It was routed the way it was supposed to be. Not sure if it wore on the half shaft or on the boot floor, but all the braiding had worn through. I've made a separate bracket to hopefully avoid recurrence but I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

I donot know exaktly how much has been done for you allready but you could wax oil the alloy to steel parts that will be very hard to get at later. Also please do not use copper slip with a steel alloy combination as the dissimalar metal will cause it to rot corrode [i have bitter experiance of this at work] your car will go through SVA so think SVA and avoid any sharp bits and position fuel and brake components carefuly have a look at the build sites on the Westfeild site and the Robin hood site there are a few SVA test reports to help you pass. Learn from other peoples mistakes.If the widscreen and hood could cause problems you can send the car for SVA without it and fit these after.

Paul.